Running for weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My shocker was shakes. You can eat at McDonalds for 900 cals (nuggets fries 0cal drink) - but a single medium shake by itself is over 1000. I had no idea - I didn't have them very often but assumed 400-500. At least lattes are like 110-250.

For comparison, 11km in 55 mins with 6k of intervals only knocks off 650.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    on the topic of eating back the calories you burn, is there a way to stop the post run munchies?
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Matt Fitzgerald's "Racing Weight" is a great book which can help you balance your running goals with moderate weight loss at the same time. If you love to run and want to lose weight without burning out - and you can if running creates too great a calorie deficit and you feel tired all the time - I highly recommend the book.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    on the topic of eating back the calories you burn, is there a way to stop the post run munchies?

For me, about 20 - 25 grams of protein right after my run kills the munchies.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

i usually drink some milk
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Running has made losing weight a LOT easier for me. Since I started running in May I've lost 27 pounds. I have a difficult time eating at a deficit on the days I don't run.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    skysiebaby wrote: »
    it worked for me, but all you're ultimately doing is creating a larger deficit which you can also do by eating less.

Emphasis mine - while true, for some folks that's a big challenge with calorie restriction alone.

Of course running is doing more than that - it's creating significant fitness gains.

In addition to losing 80 pounds over 10 months, the running I was doing made me fit long before those 10 months were over. I went from pre-diabetic, border line hypertensive on the verge of needing medication, blood lipids and other measures out of whack to... perfect health with blood work on the damn healthy side of normal and BP like I was 20 again. Again you can find many stories like mine here on MFP and one doesn't have to be a distance running addict like me to get those gains. A modest, regular, program will do the job.

Some of those gains would come through diet alone although likely not to the same degree and within as short a time span. Running - any vigorous cardio activity - certainly gets some credit for health and fitness improvements.

Agreed. I honestly don't need a big deficit but eating less for me isn't much of an option when I can run 3 miles around the block, earn 300 calories, and that's more than enough for me to feel satisfied. I probably could run more but I don't want to use exercise as a crutch for more eating. I just need enough to feel like I am not starving myself and continue to improve my health markers.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Running has made losing weight a LOT easier for me. Since I started running in May I've lost 27 pounds. I have a difficult time eating at a deficit on the days I don't run.

so very very true

il_570xN.479539029_fh3y.jpg
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I was just thrown off by how many articles there are saying how running is bad for weight loss.

Just think about it. It defies basic common sense.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, the only form of cardio more effective at creating a solid caloric deficit than running is cross-country skiing.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    From what I've read, the only form of cardio more effective at creating a solid caloric deficit than running is cross-country skiing.

I can create the same burn running as I do on an elliptical, bike, or even rowing. The benefit of running is that you just need a good pair of shoes, the right kind of socks, tops, and shorts (no equipment necessary). My first long run ever (over 3 miles) was running to mcdonalds to get breakfast. On my way back I decided to make a few left turns, a few right turns, and I ended up running 25K that day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »

And running is a lot more convenient, especially in June!

(I've actually been thinking about picking up cross country skiing again.)
  • shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    what do you guys find is the best method of eating when on a running routine. They say abs are made in the kitchen and I find my diet is the missing link for me (not in diary, I haven't logged consistently in awhile).
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    for me abs were made by monitoring my intake/outgo, being in the right calorie deficit to lose fat, and mostly in someone else's kitchen :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you were shopping for makeup or clothes, would you reject all offerings that weren't the best at making you look good? Or would you pick a variety based on what pleases you? Sometimes one outfit is better than another depending on the occasion.

I think many lose our way when we try and incorporate the best exercise and the best foods for losing weight, forgetting that the ultimate goal is a rich life. Running has improved my cardiovascular health more than anything, but I am also stronger, faster, more flexible, and mobile. When I started running seriously my weight loss slowed down. I was eating more. But I had a good think about it, and I enjoyed running more than losing weight. Rich life.

All you need for a running routine is maybe 200 more calories a day. One cookie. To know what you are really eating you need to log your meals. That will tell you what is going on for calories-in, calories-out.