I feel bad wasting food

Options
2»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Some of hte responses kind of surprise me.
    I don't like to waste food. I am not just going to toss something out because I am full. Most leftovers keep & re-heat very well. Since adjusting our portion control we have left overs a lot more than we used to. Often times its only a little bit left, but it all goes in the fridge before it goes in the trash. Leftovers are used for lunch or as part of dinner within a couple days. It doesn't go to waste or waist.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of good responses. Thanks for posting this, I needed to see the responses too!

My mantra is "I'm not a garbage can." This helps me to remember that I don't have to finish everything. Food can be put away for another meal, even just a few bites are worth saving. After a few days, if we haven't eaten it, we toss it.

DH and I have also learned to serve dinner directly to our plates, instead of putting it in serving dishes. Our girls are slow eaters, so while he and I are sitting there waiting for the girls to finish, we are tempted to have seconds. If we don't put the food on the table, we are not tempted to pick. The only thing we do pick at is raw veggies (carrots, peppers, broccoli, etc.). That's o.k. :wink:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Another tip: Stir frying is a great "refrigerator cleaner". Make up a big batch of brown rice and store it in the freezer or fridge. Grab all the bits and pieces left over at the end of the week--peppers, celery, zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, onions--thaw out a chicken breast or some shrimp, throw in an egg or two and a few cashews--you can't beat it. Spice it up with pepper, garlic, ginger (and a few pepper flakes if you like it spicy hot). It's a great way to stretch your meat budget as well.
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    This is a UK website I always refer to when I have some leftover food! It's brilliant!

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/

:smile:
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Another tip: when you are cooking your original meals, try to keep ingredients separated. Rather than making a casserole or stir-fry to start with, cook the noodles or rice separately for that first meal. When it comes time to manage any food left over, it is much easier to incorporate it into other meals if you are not dealing with a bits and pieces of other completed meals.

I used to have the problem of throwing food away or feeling guilted into gluttony. Then I found that my monthly budget was WAY too tight for either one of those options. Cooking as I mentioned above allowed me to not waste food but to also use it as efficiently as possible.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    You could buy a refrigerator :)

Plan your meals around leftovers - even if your kids won't eat that casserole you made - lunch for yourself for the week and it's gone and you're not over your calories. Left overs last a lot more than one day or just that day at the table.

Or, your kids can learn that if they're hungry, they better eat what's in the fridge or they're not eating. Don't give in and cook something new.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    double post. :)
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    geri1geraldinesuzanne Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i cook one meal for the evening and if anything is left over i usually serve it the next day for lunch with something or other to acompany it.

:bigsmile: