Motivation

Options
How do you get motivated to workout at home or go to the gym?

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Well... I'm not going to meet my goals sitting on the couch so there's not really an alternative is there?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @shelley69101 For me it was simple: turn my health around (lose 80+ pounds, get fit, drop blood pressure, turn pre-diabetic state around) or live an increasingly less fun, less mobile, less interesting life, and die unhealthy and much younger than I'd like.

Does one really need more motivation than that?

Crap, I better get out for a run right now.
  • livelaughloveandfit
    Options
    When I'm not feeling motivated I think of why I'm doing this! So think of why you are wanting to make a change! Feel free to add me :)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Making myself proud of me. Having my girls be proud. Showing off how amazing my programmer is.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Well... I'm not going to meet my goals sitting on the couch so there's not really an alternative is there?

Quoted for truth!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    It's quite simple for me. I know how great I feel afterwards.
    When I'm totally not in the mood, I just think about how much I will regret not going afterwards. It happened to me numerous times in the past.
  • dhygirl
    dhygirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's much easier for me to eat healthy and not cheat than it is to find motivation you work out. But I know I need that extra oomph to help me reach my goals. I weigh every day to see the progress I've made and that helps. Do something you like. I use SWORKIT and create my own exercise programs, or just turn on music and dance around my room! That way it's not something I dread doing.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    By seeing improvements every few workouts, if I'm stuck then it is demotivating. I don't know what I'll do if you ever reach my genetic limit and can't improve further. Have to just maintain I guess.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you depend on motivation to be the ONLY driver for doing things that are either not habitual or your "favorite" things to do, eventually it will give out and you'll fail. You don't motivate yourself to brush your teeth--you just do it, right? I hate that it comes down to a Nike saying, but seriously, you make a decision to just do it. What's the alternative, really? Do you honestly like the alternative better? It might be easier---now---but do you like what you see and what's in your mind when you DON'T exercise today, or eat according to a plan, or work towards a goal? I don't. I love the confidence I feel when I make my mind up to stick to something.

For me, when I started losing weight, I made a decision that the previous 10 years of eating whatever I wanted to eat, and rationalizing away everything I didn't want to do, had to stop. I had enough of that party! I decided to forge a lifestyle that WORKED for me, for my interests and likes, and one that was do-able over the long haul. It took alot of experimentation, switching things up and around over time, but I have a routine and set of habits now that motivation doesn't really even play a role. It just is what it is. I do this, I do that, I eat this, I eat that...I don't do this, I don't do that, I don't eat this, I don't eat that (stuff that frankly I don't like!). Decided and done.

Will it change over time? You bet. Will I try new things and drop other things? No doubt. But motivation is in the back seat, not my driver. Not dependable in the long run. Good to have, but not to hang on to as my lifeline.