Help me figure out women sizing.

Options
2»

Replies

• bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm personally glad that women's sizing isn't universal. Most brand sizing tends to be based around their average consumer as opposed to the average woman so if Brand A attracts a lot of pear-shaped women and Brand B attracts a lot of apple-shaped women the cuts of the clothing are going to be different so as to suit the brand's typical customer. I would guess that since the pear shape is the most common it probably drives a lot of clothing cuts but I have found brands that skew a little closer to hourglass so I haven't had to size up endlessly just to get something to fit me in the chest. When shopping online size charts really are your best friend. I don't, however, buy pants online because I feel like pants are tricky and have additional measurements that determine fit (low hip/abdomen, thigh, calf) that tend not to be included on charts and can really impact whether or not they will work for you.

As for why 29s aren't really 29s, I've seen guys complain about vanity sizing in their pants. Perhaps that's what is going on. I find that kind of inflation silly since those numbers are supposed to correlate to something fixed unlike general 2/4/6/etc. sizing.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I say we rebel and demand that women's clothes be sized the same way men's are!!

Nah, men's shirt sizes can vary a lot, and even the numbered pants sizes can fit differently depending on the brand.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that sizing is a mystical and confusing process that has nothing to do with actual inches you are.

Here in the UK, I can fit into a few size 10 items of clothing, and a few size 8 items of clothing. This is despite the fact that according to my measurements I'm a size 12 in most stores... Eg: I'm currently wearing some high-waisted New Look size 10 jeans. My waist measurements is currently 28.5" (but 29" by the end of the day) and according to the New Look website, a size 10 waist is 27.5" So, you know...eh??!!! An inch less in the waist and these jeans will be too big for me. Madness...
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that sizing is a mystical and confusing process that has nothing to do with actual inches you are.

Here in the UK, I can fit into a few size 10 items of clothing, and a few size 8 items of clothing. This is despite the fact that according to my measurements I'm a size 12 in most stores... Eg: I'm currently wearing some high-waisted New Look size 10 jeans. My waist measurements is currently 28.5" (but 29" by the end of the day) and according to the New Look website, a size 10 waist is 27.5" So, you know...eh??!!! An inch less in the waist and these jeans will be too big for me. Madness...

I've had this same issue ordering online... I'll use the measurements on the size chart, but then what I get is too big! Like, why are the measurements even there if they don't correspond to the size of the clothing?