need to lose 100 lbs 7 months

Options
2»

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    shellinut wrote: »
    Thanks, I can use all the support. I am working with just a physician assistant at my drs office who I will see monthly for monthly check-ups, medication check-ups and questions on any foods (her and I discussed what I should be eating at our last appointment 2 weeks ago).

Since you've already reached your out of pocket maximum, check if your insurance plan will cover a registered dietitian. If so, ask your doctor for a referral. Most doctors know the generalities when it comes to nutrition but are -- as they'll usually freely admit -- pretty crap at the particulars. It sounds like it could really help you to have the support of a dietitian.
  • ryan86272
    ryan86272 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Not possible if you are going to do it in a healthy way.

I've done 40 lbs in 10 weeks... 346 -306... when you have a lot of extra hanging around a healthy diet and good gym routine it is very possible.. I just logged back in my fit pal to do it again, hard part is not getting bored and giving up halfway through....

Everyone keeps saying 2 lbs a week is safe.. when your 180lbs and want to get to 170.. its a little different.
  • shellinut
    shellinut Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that as I just hit my out of pocket max yesterday when I scheduled my MRI. Thanks!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to lose the 100 lbs and then cut back to 1-2 lbs a week after that. I am hoping that if my dr sees that I am making the effort she will do the surgery if I even come close. She said the anesthesiologist wants patients to be under 300 but ideally at 250. I only need to lose 53 lbs to be at 300 so I am hoping I come close enough :-)

You've got this!
  • shellinut
    Options
    Thanks ryan, thats what I've been trying to say that when you have 225 lbs to lose, its a little more plausible to lose more than 2 lbs a week than when you only have a little bit of weight. Not saying that I will actually lose the 100 lbs in 7 months but that is my goal.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a healthy and sensible approach to this.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you want to lose weight fast, which can be risky, to avoid high risk during a surgery?

Risking your health to avoid risking your health? Which is the higher risk and potential for danger?

But ultimately it seems to be for money?

How much money we talking?

You really should speak to you doctor about this stuff, get a 2nd opinion about the necessity of the surgery, the risks of aiming for 3.5 pound loss per week etc

With a large amount to lose you might be ok losing big. You might even have a lot of water weight you could lose in the first few weeks.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Awww thanks! I want to lose weight for myself, my health, my wife and this is just a bonus motivation for me. Its just hard to think about that much weight in so little time. I have lost that much in that amount of time before so I know I can do it and as much as I weigh I know it can be done. Both my drs believe I can do it. They have tested my resting metabolism and it is high (I can't blame my weight on my metabolism, lol).

I have lost 70 pounds in 8 months and started with 90 to lose. I haven't starved myself - but in order to eat more than twigs and berries I've had to make exercise a part of my daily routine. For the first 6 weeks (~20 pounds?) I did no exercise.

It's not easy and it takes focus and dedication, but given your starting point it just might be doable.

Good luck! Even if you don't make it the full 100, you'll make a huge dent for sure!
  • shellinut
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, I had surgery last week and I can't exercise until next Monday. Come next Monday, I will be back in the pool swimming laps, yay
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    BrickFox wrote: »
    Just thought I would link you this video for inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8svuSIYQu74

Finally, I got a chance to watch this video. 1000% percent inspiring. @BrickFox, thank you for posting this.
  • shellinut
    Options
    awesome
  • TiJoGa
    TiJoGa Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You might like the 100 + pounds with NO surgery group. There is a lot of support there with people going through similar struggles
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to lose the 100 lbs and then cut back to 1-2 lbs a week after that. I am hoping that if my dr sees that I am making the effort she will do the surgery if I even come close. She said the anesthesiologist wants patients to be under 300 but ideally at 250. I only need to lose 53 lbs to be at 300 so I am hoping I come close enough :-)

This is a much less drastic goal in that time frame. I think you'll be able to do this if you commit to it. Add in walking and such if you can to help keep that heart strong. I hope 1600 works out, but know that at your size you can still lose at a substantial rate eating more than that (though of course less than what you had been eating to get to your current weight).

• shellinut
    Options
    Thanks, I will try that group. WBB55, thanks. I had my resting metabolic rate tested and I burn 3200 calories just doing nothing so you are correct, i will lose even at a higher rate. I will eat more next week when I start swimming again as I don't think 1600 calories is enough to sustain me when I am working out. Thanks again
  • hulagirl2000
    hulagirl2000 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
  • hulagirl2000
    hulagirl2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm so encouraged to find your post! I have 115 lbs to lose. We can do this!
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    My two cents, for what it's worth--It sounds like you have plenty of motivation to accomplish your goal, which is to lose enough weight to reduce the risks involved with your surgery. If you lose at least 53 pounds before June, you've accomplished that goal. I would consider the 100 pound loss as an aspiration rather than a hard goal, that way if you step on the scale in May and have lost more than 53 pounds but less than 100, you won't feel like you failed.

Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'd be happy to offer support and encouragement!
  • shellinut
    Options
    thanks!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    BrickFox wrote: »
    Just thought I would link you this video for inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8svuSIYQu74

Finally, I got a chance to watch this video. 1000% percent inspiring. @BrickFox, thank you for posting this.

I second this!! You are amazing and insprirational @BrickFox :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Different types of medical services have different amounts the patient is required to pay. So I agree with the suggestion to find out how much you would have to pay if you can't get it done by June 30. Also be aware that your insurance probably requires a preauthorization. While these often can be obtained within a few days, if there are any issues it can take weeks or months. Do your doc needs to approve it in time to get preauthorization and schedule the procedure before time expires. There "could" be issues due to your weight puts you at higher risk as you know and the robotic assistance is a more $$ procedure that insurance might balk at. Just a heads up.

It took me 14 months to lose 100 lbs. in 7 mo I lost about 55. Started at 301.