Czech Study says eating two large meals better than 6 small

Options
SAH1906
SAH1906 Posts: 60 Member
I know how opinionated folks get on MFP. Just wanted to read thoughts in regard to this study.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-23/two-large-meals-a-day-tops-six-mini-meals-for-weight-loss.html

Our results support the ancient proverb: ‘Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper,”’ Hana Kahleova, a researcher at the Institute for Clinical and Experimental Medicine in Prague, Czech Republic, said today in a presentation.

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    My opinion is this: Eat what you want, when you want, however many times a day you want. ....... as long as it is within your calorie limits... and you should be successful. :)

That said... I've noticed better weight loss when I'm NOT focused on eating 6 small meals per day. I just eat when I'm hungry. If that means only having breakfast, lunch, dinner, with no snacks in between, so be it. I listen to my body, and its been working. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Basically been eating this way for some time now and have been able to sustain the physique I have for years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    eating less calories than your output will make you lose weight.

I could eat 1 meal a day and still gain weight. this article only proves there is no metabolic boost from multiple meal consumption
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    agreed.

Cals in vs out is more important any particular meal frequency.

Pick the number of meals that suits your goals and lifestyle.
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It's a fairly short term, small study that focused on type 2 diabetes. It's interesting, but their diabetes could be factoring in in a way the average person wouldn't. In any case, I think it's best to eat however works for you. Six small meals, one large meal over two or three hours, 12 straight hours of snacking, whatever. So long as your calories are where they need to be, it should work out well enough.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    agreed.

Cals in vs out is more important any particular meal frequency.

Pick the number of meals that suits your goals and lifestyle.

to add into this energy usage is consistent. what makes you think your body shuts off every 24 hours and reboots?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Need to look at this further but I have a few issues off the bat.

- how much do those % points represent?
    - BMI is not a measure of BF (not that it is relevant - just sloppy editing)
    - how does 2 meals a day support ‘Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper,”’?
    - study is not actually included so no details can be discerned.
    - it was limited to people with Type II diabetes - the prior study mentioned seems to be that meal frequency was irrelevant, so it appears to contradict that one, which was done on non diabetics. Before drawing any conclusions for the gen pop, the study should be done on non diabetics.

Just my initial thoughts. Would actually like to see the full study.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Found the website but I don't read Czech.

From what the article said, and has been pointed out, while potentially an interesting finding, the short time period, small sample size and special population does not mean that the results will be the same across the general population.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    - how does 2 meals a day support ‘Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper,”’?
    Yeah, that was my question.

I'm generally happiest eating twice a day, lunch and dinner or sort of late breakfast brunch and early dinner. My favorite thing looking into IF was the freedom to skip breakfast again instead of feeling like I had to eat it because it was 'healthy' or good for weight loss or something. That 6 meals a day thing was a nightmare when I tried it. Ugh.
  • SAH1906
    SAH1906 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that was my question.

Honestly, I believe in the material balance method too. You have to burn more calories than you take in to lose weight. I kind of just wanted to see quickly the study would get ripped to shreds. lol

As for the correlation, I see it as the proverb really meant to load calories early (breakfast and lunch) so you have a chance to burn off more of them throughout the day. The study said to have a large breakfast and lunch, in essence skipping dinner and therefore have you eating dinner "like a pauper."
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My opinion is this: Eat what you want, when you want, however many times a day you want. ....... as long as it is within your calorie limits... and you should be successful. :)

That said... I've noticed better weight loss when I'm NOT focused on eating 6 small meals per day. I just eat when I'm hungry. If that means only having breakfast, lunch, dinner, with no snacks in between, so be it. I listen to my body, and its been working. :)

Yes.... 48 lbs down by doing this :)
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 meals a day bc it prevents hunger and keeps me energized. It also keeps me from snacking on junk.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Food and Nutrition
    Topic: Czech Study says eating two large meals better than 6 small
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    what makes you think your body shuts off every 24 hours and reboots?
    It doesn't "shut off" but there are strong circadian rhythms in a number of hormones and metabolic factors.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Abstract at <https://www.abstractsonline.com/Plan/ViewAbstract.aspx?sKey=5729427a-bf50-4c5b-b77b-59c1b0029843&amp;cKey=efbbe9b6-4c3e-484f-bdc8-129af1de2f02&amp;mKey={89918D6D-3018-4EA9-9D4F-711F98A7AE5D}&gt;

"The Effect of Frequency of Meals on β-Cell Function in Subjects with Type 2 Diabetes"
    Two meals a day led to a greater decrease in BMI and HFC and a greater increase in OGIS. Insulin secretion and glucose sensitivity increased comparably in both regimens. Our data suggest that eating fewer larger meals may be more beneficial than more frequent meals for patients with T2D

HFC = hepatic (liver) fat content.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Personal anecdote: I don't have T2D, but I am insulin resistant and have PCOS. Eating twice daily has worked out pretty well for me. I find eating a small amounts of food many times a day to be stressful and unsatisfying.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I didn't read this study but let's not forget that one study only adds to the body of evidence, and does not change it as such. In this case there are other studies which support the findings.

Also longitudinal studies are what I am interested in since I want a long term change not a quick fix.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly even if it is true, I couldn't do it. I get full after a small meal, typically.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Our results support the ancient proverb: ‘Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper,”’ Hana Kahleova, a researcher at the Institute for Clinical and Experimental Medicine in Prague, Czech Republic, said today in a presentation.

I actually had much better results doing the opposite.
    I've dropped 30 pounds eating very small or no breakfast, very few carbs in the am, a light lunch, then a big dinner after training.

I think you can make progress eating at any times, and planning out exactly when you eat turns into a lot of work for a very minimal difference.