losing weight and bras

Options
how often did you have to change bras on your weight loss journey?

I lost 23# so far and went down one band size. I had to get new bras not just because the old ones felt too loose but my back started hurting. Please keep in mind I used to be 38 DDD and now I am in 36 DDD.

Replies

• FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    depends... did you get measured for your size or did you just assume? your cup size changes too when you lose weight to an extent. Plus with that size I would imagine you need something super supportive to prevent back pain.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    oh and I change mine just when they start to feel too loose.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I went from a 42c to 38d.....you really need to get fitted properly if you haven't already to make sure you're wearing the correct size and support level
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    My bras are really expensive because I can't get them in a department store. I have a relatively small torso and large breasts. I started out in a 36 HH (UK size, even though I'm in the US) and now wear a 32 GG (again, UK size ... I buy UK brand bras).

I've replaced my bras twice so far. I let mine get pretty loose in the cup before I replaced them because of the cost factor.

I have about 30 pounds left to lose and will probably stay in my current bras until goal if I can. As it is, I'll probably have to replace my swimsuit (which I buy by bra size) for the gym sometime during this winter.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Bras are expensive so I just bought new ones once, when I was pretty close to my goal weight. I went from a 34DDD at my SW to a 30DD after losing 35lbs. I'm still wearing the 30DDs even though I've lost another 15lbs since then... I just hook them on a smaller hook.

(Technically I should be in a 28DDD, but that doesn't exist anywhere where I live. So I'm wearing 30DDs instead on the smallest hook. And I probably will go down to a 30D when I buy new ones next year, but that's not in my budget right now.)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So here's the thing. If you truly went from a 38DDD to a 36DDD that means your cup DID in fact go down by one cup, too. As in the cup on a 36DDDD is the same as the cup size volume as on a 38DDD.

I highly recommend getting fitted at a high quality bra shop, even if you have to travel a couple hundred miles. Once you know your size, you can get things cheaper online. I also wear UK sizing here in the US. I'm currently wearing 34/36 FF (equivalent to DDDDDD in the US sizing).
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Here's a good chart showing bra size / cup size equivalencies across brands and countries:

http://www.herroom.com/european-lingerie-size-conversions,929,30.html
  • j9x794
    j9x794 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I get measured at Nordstrom. So I am hoping that the back pain will go away.

did anyone else experience this? having back pain from looser bras after some weight loss?

it will cost a lot if I need to replace the bras every two months! But I will take it! I hope I will get to some normal sizes soon, so the cost should go down.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Like Carol, I have a larger cup size. I have lost over 50 lbs and I am on my 3rd different bra set since starting my weight loss journey, I lost 9 inches in the band size but only 7 in cup size. Since the band size decreased faster than the cup, and the cup is sized by proportion to the band measurement, I was able to alter 2 by sewing the band to take in an inch or more on both sides. It is not ideal but again, because of cup sizes of J or higher, I have a limited selection, and they are very expensive.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    j9x794 wrote: »

did anyone else experience this? having back pain from looser bras after some weight loss?

it will cost a lot if I need to replace the bras every two months! But I will take it! I hope I will get to some normal sizes soon, so the cost should go down.

no, you should not have back pain. you need a different brand of bra or a different size. While losing weight make sure to buy bras where you're sizing to the largest hook size on that bra. Three GOOD bras should be enough at any one given point in time if money is tight.
  • ljcox7210
    ljcox7210 Posts: 57 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've lost 7 stone so far and have gone from a 36G to a 28E (I should be a 26 really but I cannot find 26 anywhere! I've lost most of my breasts with my weight loss) and I just changed mine as and when I needed to, I never bought loads of bras when I changed, just the bare minimum I could get away with so I didn't fork out loads for bras, I changed my bras once every 6 months probably...
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

no, you should not have back pain. you need a different brand of bra or a different size. While losing weight make sure to buy bras where you're sizing to the largest hook size on that bra. Three GOOD bras should be enough at any one given point in time if money is tight.

Sizing to the largest hook will give you more wear as you continue to lose weight. If I were you - I would get the back pain checked out by a medical person and not just chalk it up to breast support. Something may be going on with the way you carrying yourself, or even something like whether your shoes are supporting you properly.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

If the band is too loose but the cups are still a reasonable fit, you could get the band altered to make it smaller.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem have always been my boobs; the cup I need doesn't come in the band size I need (the boobs are too big). Right now it's ok, but the bras I have are starting to feel a little loose (and I'm already using the smallest hooks) but I'm going to try to hold out until I can fit into good bras (I'm currently still too large in the cup area for a smaller size).

That said, I generally wear a sports bra over my regular bra (except when I'm working out and have lazy days at home; then I just wear a sports bra) so I can probably go a bit longer before I change them out than other people.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds and I just now went down in a bra size (36b - 36a). I am extremely flat chested RIP my boobs.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    My upper back pain was due to not having strong enough hip, shoulder and abdominal muscles which led to poor posture. When I increased my walking this caused strain on my back muscles. Saw my GP and then did several weeks of physical therapy. I still do the exercises my therapist gave me and have added even more strength training.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I tend to get re-fitted professionally when i go down a top size so far I've gone down from a 38DD/E to a 36DD, as i am now down to a uk 12(uk 18 at start) top i should probably get it done again the bras are getting uncomfortable again :(
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I've gone through several sizes. Getting "professionally" measured may or may not be helpful. I've found that those people don't always know what they're doing, so there's that. If the bra fits and works, I know it, so I skip those people now.

Since my favorite unseemed-cup bra was discontinued, I haven't really found one that I liked.

Like the rest of my body, my boobs have extra skin and really require good coverage from a full cup, not one of those deals where the support is more on the outer edges. The trend in bras these days is not a full cup, so it rather gets on my nerves to bra shop.

I think I started in a 44DD and am now in a 38 (close to 36) D. When I drop a band size, I may be going back to a DD, but Ds are working well for now.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

You really only need one flesh colored bra. Wash it at night to wear again the next day. I've gone for years only owning 1 bra at a time (B/c i'm a minimalist, not because of weight loss). I also own a sports bra for running, but I don't wear it out of the house if Im not on a trail.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I brought most of my old bras to Goodwill last week when I hit 55 lbs off. I purchased 3 bras new, counting on on these working to my goal weight (another 35 lbs).

So far down from a 38(D7) to a 36(D5). I anticipate being a 36(D3) at my goal.