Need more protein

Options
I'm trying to eat 40% protein 30% fat 30% carbs (trying to lose body fat). I can keep my carbs down just fine but I'm having trouble with my fat intake and keep going over in my fat and under in my protein. Other than eating chicken all day long can I get some suggestions on how to get more protein without adding fat?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like your body is telling you that you need more fat and less protein.

The recommended amount of protein is 10% to 35% of calories.

Fat doesn't make you fat. An excess of calories makes you fat, no matter where those calories originate.
  • meganislosingit
    meganislosingit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the same thing, but I'm on week 2 and losing weight. My macro goals are 25% carbs, 40% protein and 35% fat. I keep going under my protein goal and over my fat goal. The last 2 days I have had a lot of energy and have not felt sluggish in the afternoon at all. Even months on WW, I always had the afternoon crash. So I will keep doing this until it stops working. I had some tuna fish today, and have been eating low fat cottage cheese. I think reducing my sugar intake has made a big difference. Good luck!
  • arizonacrystal
    arizonacrystal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks I am feeling really good with my current diet and don't ever feel starving. Which I have had happen in the past when I reduced my carbs without increasing fat or protein. I just have a lot of extra body fat right now that I'd like to lose. I'm not really concerned with how much I weigh as much as I'm trying to change my body composition.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    That's too high. A professional bodybuilder only needs about 0.82 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight per day, which equates to roughly 25-30% daily protein by reasonable standards.

30% fat is likely fine, but I would go by grams... a minimum of .40 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight unless obese.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    It sounds to me like your body is telling you that you need more fat and less protein.

This.

Protein is good for you. Fat is good for you. Carbs are good for you. As long as you're getting all three in a relatively balanced way, and you're eating fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose weight.

No need to obsess over macros or target unrealistically high protein goals.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    There is no harm in adding more fat, unless you add so much that it puts you over on your calories. But if you are happy with those macros, then I would suggest fat free dairy (cottage cheese has a lot of protein, so does greek yogurt).

I also eat fish...it does have fat as well, but not very much. Also, certain vegetables have a fair amount of protein...peas have a lot, for example. So do things like chick peas. Of course, you are adding a lot of carbs with chick peas, but if you have them to spare it could work.

Also, eggs are a great protein source, but they do come with some fat as well. But if you really want to keep the fat low, then you could use egg whites.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not really concerned with how much I weigh as much as I'm trying to change my body composition.

That will change as you reduce weight
  • arizonacrystal
    arizonacrystal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You are all so helpful! I guess I have just been reading to many blogs that obsess about protein. Right now what I am doing is satisfying while keeping me under my calories so I will stick with it. :smile:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You are all so helpful! I guess I have just been reading to many blogs that obsess about protein. Right now what I am doing is satisfying while keeping me under my calories so I will stick with it. :smile:

Yeah, careful of the bro-science blogs. They'll tout the benefits of unrealistically high amounts of protein, but there really isn't much science to back up those claims past a certain point.

If what you're doing is working for you, carry on.