You favourite DIY home gym equipment?!

Options

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Nothing fancy for me. Nice elliptical, basic bench, lots of free weight, ab ball, ab roller, chin up bar.

n3wq44eylrbk.jpg

I recently purchased a chin up assist strap, which has helped me work out the back at home. I am very very close to not needing it any more but I find if I want to do 4 or 5 sets of chin-ups of assorted grip lengths it has allowed me to use proper form and to concentrate on the full range of motion.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I dont have a pic but i did a diy a year ago with lebert equalizers using PVC pipes from home depot :) My friend and I did it! the diy instructions are easy to find online.
  • TonnnnUK
    TonnnnUK Posts: 132 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I just have a small spare room I use as a homemade gym consisting of:

Bench with barbell spotter - Adjustadble back rest for incline.
    Barbell, EZ curl bar & 2 pairs of dumbells.
    About 90kgs of assorted weights.
    Door frame pull up/chin up bar - Like the JML ones.
    Military strap for suspension training - NOT TRX, one that was just £20 new.
    Exercise bike - But it's a bit small for a good exercise.

All that is sufficient for full body workouts. Though it would be cool to make or buy a squat rack thing.
    I'm in the process of moving house so maybe in future.

In terms of best equipment, the military strap is my latest purchase and although I haven;t used it too much so far, it looks like it will be a really useful bit of kit.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nothing fancy for me. Nice elliptical, basic bench, lots of free weight, ab ball, ab roller, chin up bar.

n3wq44eylrbk.jpg

I recently purchased a chin up assist strap, which has helped me work out the back at home. I am very very close to not needing it any more but I find if I want to do 4 or 5 sets of chin-ups of assorted grip lengths it has allowed me to use proper form and to concentrate on the full range of motion.

You made all that stuff? Including the elliptical? Great craftsmanship!
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

n3wq44eylrbk.jpg

You made all that stuff? Including the elliptical? Great craftsmanship!

He also drew by hand and painted those iconic images of Ali and Jordan. He is a renaissance man.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    ^^^ tee hee
  • successgal1
    Options
    My resistance band wall mount is coming along.

qdkw1ymrgwz3.jpg
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Ross has quite a bit of DIY training equipment ideas. Here's one https://instagram.com/p/-UPJnTmsVd/
  • successgal1
    Options
    My resistance band wallmount is just about complete. I have to wait for the man of the house to finish screwing in those top two screw eyes, I totally ran out of upper body strength on that. Oak and the large screw eyes I used might have been a bit of overkill. They go all the way into the stud along with the screws. I forgot how HARD oak is! The only thing that will take this wall mount down is termites from the stud side!

ldqd1xbpqlpo.jpg

• DopeItUp
    Options
    Huh, I was envisioning a horizontal mount so that each band/set of bands would hang down vertically and separately from each other. Guess it works either way.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I have a skipping rope, kettle bells, yoga props (block, strap etc). I'd love a wall ball and medicine ball as well. I mostly use the skipping rope and kettle bells along with body weight exercises (e.g. Burpees, squat jumps) if I'm working out at home.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have a wooden power cage that my husband built for me as well as a bench. He also installed a pull up bar from the ceiling in the garage. I don't have a picture but it's perfect for what I need.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    My resistance band wallmount is just about complete. I have to wait for the man of the house to finish screwing in those top two screw eyes, I totally ran out of upper body strength on that. Oak and the large screw eyes I used might have been a bit of overkill. They go all the way into the stud along with the screws. I forgot how HARD oak is! The only thing that will take this wall mount down is termites from the stud side!

ldqd1xbpqlpo.jpg

Great idea, but I think you should do resistance band exercises until you have the strength to do it yourself! :)

Some really good ideas on this thread. I'm leaning more towards home mode for my workouts for time efficiency reasons mostly, and this thread has given me some great ideas.
  • successgal1
    Options
    Huh, I was envisioning a horizontal mount so that each band/set of bands would hang down vertically and separately from each other. Guess it works either way.

Hey! Interesting idea.I bought the black mountain product set of bands. Its got two heavy bands along with the rest. Anyway they all clip to the handles so you can use one band or more. So you can easily move bands and "weight ". I also have flat bands in addition to the tubes. The bands are effective for different body parts depending on where they are anchored, and of course they can be used unanchored.
  • successgal1
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Great idea, but I think you should do resistance band exercises until you have the strength to do it yourself! :)

LOL believe me that thought occurred to me! As it was, he finished screwing in those top two eyes and he too was surprised at how tough it was, and he's 6'2" with sufficient muscle. The eyes are 3/8 x 4 1/2 inches. They went through 2 inches of oak, the dry wall then into the stud. I probably could have made the pilot holes a little bigger but I couldn't find a larger drill bit.

Yes he was surprised I got any of them in at all, sheer female determination to get the job done. They actually got hot from friction I noticed. I'm suffering a whole body DOMS today, I didn't have upper body strength but I could brace against the screw driver and drive up with my legs. I need to sit my butt down at my desk and get some work done, so yay! Rest day.

• Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    *double post*
  • DopeItUp
    Options

LOL believe me that thought occurred to me! As it was, he finished screwing in those top two eyes and he too was surprised at how tough it was, and he's 6'2" with sufficient muscle. The eyes are 3/8 x 4 1/2 inches. They went through 2 inches of oak, the dry wall then into the stud. I probably could have made the pilot holes a little bigger but I couldn't find a larger drill bit.

Yes he was surprised I got any of them in at all, sheer female determination to get the job done. They actually got hot from friction I noticed. I'm suffering a whole body DOMS today, I didn't have upper body strength but I could brace against the screw driver and drive up with my legs. I need to sit my butt down at my desk and get some work done, so yay! Rest day.

Just a tip for the future, any kind of lubricant on the fastener will help tremendously. Anything like WD40, hell even just some dish soap on the threads will make a surprising difference.
  • successgal1
    Options

Just a tip for the future, any kind of lubricant on the fastener will help tremendously. Anything like WD40, hell even just some dish soap on the threads will make a surprising difference.

Thanks for the tip! I actually thought of using some candlewax, but I suppose ADD set in and I forgot about it!
  • nickynoneck83
    nickynoneck83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I dont do the gym , I have sets of 18 , 24 & 32 kilogram kettlebells along with a steel mace besides using them I do windsprints & bodyweight stuff.