Moody when dieting

Options
does anyone else get a little moody when they are dieting or is it just me??
Lately I've really cut down my carb intake (barely any carbs at all) and I have been finding the littlest of things are irritating me....
If it's due to my diet, my moods which effect my wellbeing/ personality are more important so il just increase my carbs again. Just wanted to get people's thoughts...

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I am a monster when I don't eat carbs. So I eat carbs. I'd rather be human than be a ravenous beast the whole time.

Also when I don't eat enough carbs I end up bingeing on total utter crap like chocolate cake. Better off I have some oats, sweet potato, brown rice, wholemeal breads and pastas, pumpkin, etc than be a hangry b!tch devouring chocolate cakes.

My point therefore is - if you are grumpy on low carbs - eat more carbs.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    When I was larger-no. Cutting now at just below 130 while trying to maintain strength/lift heavy and working with children under 5 years old in NYC...yes. I'm a freak at the moment.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Salt. You probably need salt becaue of the lost water weight from going low carb. Go up to 5g of salt per day. Drink broth or salt your water. It will probably help.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    When I dieted at what was (for me) way too few calories (1300) - yes, I was moody. Now I'm dieting at a still very aggressive 1800 calories, and I'm actually in a pretty good mood.

I never did the low carb thing for more than a few days, so I can't really say there. I realized 80% of the food I love has a decent amount of carbs, and not eating that would definitely make me grumpy just for that reason alone.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Actually when I first go low carb I get all sentimental. Cry over any little thing.

But when I have more energy to expend because I'm eating better (for me that is low carb, your results may vary) I can get more aggressive. Not playing bumper cars in five o'clock traffic aggressive, but definitely not putting up with anyone's nonsense, I'm walking away now, so you can just bugger off aggressive.

Edit: Just remembered one other thing. When my calorie deficit is too severe I get plain nasty cranky mean. So along with the salt suggestion, you might want to track your calories if you aren't already to make sure your intake is reasonable in keeping with your goals.
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Low carbs plus lack of sleep is my lethal combination
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Do not diet.
    Just eat your favorite food in moderate portions, weigh all solids and measure liquids.
    If you are trying to lose body weight, eat at a deficit. A food scale is great help.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    ceazrsmith wrote: »
    Lately I've really cut down my carb intake (barely any carbs at all) and I have been finding the littlest of things are irritating me....
    If it's due to my diet, my moods which effect my wellbeing/ personality are more important so il just increase my carbs again. Just wanted to get people's thoughts...

I get super crabby and emotional when I cut my calories too low. Aiming for anything more than a 1 pound/week loss causes all kinds of issues for my anxiety and depression. No idea if cutting carbs will cause similar issues, but it might be worth taking a diet break and eating at maintenance for a week to see if it helps.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    ceazrsmith wrote: »

Speaking from personal experience, its your carb intake. You're almost certainly still eating enough carbs to remain in a non-ketogenic state (Anything more than 50g of carbs a day will almost certainly keep you out of ketosis), but not taking in enough to keep your energy levels up.

This is going to cause extreme moodiness, lethargy, and irritability.

When I went Keto for awhile, the first 10 days was BRUTAL. I didn't even want to get out of bed. Once my body switched to ketosis for energy, I felt fine, but until then that diet sucked.

BTW, I don't recommend Keto. Too hard to maintain, and you end up getting way too much food that's bad for your cholesterol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Low calories or low carbs make me moody. So I do the opposite.