supplements

Options
needit
needit Posts: 31 Member
i guess this question is mostly for women in my age group around 24 . Do you take any supplements for your workouts? If so what? Has it helped with workout progress?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Most supplements haven't been proven to be effective outside of caffeine (for some people) and creatine (if you are lifting). There are some benefits for fish oil, but that won't help with workout progress.

What types of workouts are we discussing?
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    While I am not a woman, I can give a few supplements that everyone should be taking, not ranked by order of importance:

1. Multi vitamin
    2. Omega 3 Fatty Acid
    3. CLA

Glutamine, protein supplements, creatine, BCAA are all good supplement but not everyone needs them. There is some building evidence of CoQ10 supplements for a lot of people but if you eat organ meats, deep water fish, beef, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower it is not necessary. The bad news is this list of food mimics the do not touch list for people who suffer from gout (like I do).

I honestly believe that Vitamin D should be gotten outside where we were intended to get it. However, if you live in a the urban jungle where seeing the sunlight is akin to a miners shift, this might be something to consider. There is also a growing trend of taking supplemental probiotics. Again, we should be getting these from the food we eat. If your diet is lacking probiotics then this might be something to consider. However, probiotics are not flushed from the gut unless something resets it, like taking antibiotics. There is a wealth of evidence from a lot of doctors, that the companies who create probiotics want you to ignore, that someone should not be on these for an extended time. If you need to take them more than 8 weeks, you really need to speak with a professional. If your body cannot break down food then something is really out of wack.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If your workouts aren't effective without pills and powders, I'd rethink the workouts, not the pills and powders. We should seek to take only the things we need and not go looking for reasons to take more stuff.

That's MHO, but I'm not in my 20s.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I dont take anything to help my workouts.
    However I do take prenatals for any vitamins I might not be getting. And because I cant take a regular multi vitamin because I get rashes with biotin.