Why so mean??

Options
I've been off work 6 months for shoulder surgery. During that time I've lost nearly 30 lbs. .I'm 5ft and weigh 130 lbs now. I'm really pleased I feel so much healthier and have loads of energy. So I returned to work all my female colleagues said ' how did you get so thin '.....thin I am not. I overheard them say ' she looked better fat! ! ' I'm always happy for people when they achieve something so why are they so mean !!

Replies

• LauraHackett3515
    LauraHackett3515 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They are jelous. Congrats good job!
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they are jealous...if you feel good, that's all that matters. Good job on the weight loss! Don't let those catty girls get you down.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    It's most likely jealousy. People don't like change either. Sorry you had to hear that catty gossip...don't listen to them. I am sure you look great. Be proud of your success! We're all proud.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    There's always at least one person who is just catty or like a troll, even before we used the word troll. That sort of ridiculous person is not worth your time. I'd remember which one it was and make sure to avoid her if possible.

OTOH, it can look shocking to see someone who lost a lot of weight because you are used to their face, particularly, all full. So I might --might-- cut someone some slack if that's all that happened. My sister looked weird after she got her nose fixed :grin: . Of course, her nose looked wonderful and it was only weird because it was a big change ;) She looks great and it's just a mental thing at first, lol. I wasn't jealous, btw, I was just so used to the way she normally looked!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    dawniemate wrote: »
    I've been off work 6 months for shoulder surgery. During that time I've lost nearly 30 lbs. .I'm 5ft and weigh 130 lbs now. I'm really pleased I feel so much healthier and have loads of energy. So I returned to work all my female colleagues said ' how did you get so thin '.....thin I am not. I overheard them say ' she looked better fat! ! ' I'm always happy for people when they achieve something so why are they so mean !!

Congratulations on your weight loss, and well done!

I hope your shoulder is better now.

Just ignore their meanness.

I'm guessing they are overweight and feel bad about themselves, and are trying to make themselves feel like they're better than you. It wouldn't have worked. :wink:
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Congrats on ur weight loss. They are just jelous
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Well, you could always say to them: "Well, you're fat now and you look pig ugly. Go *kitten* yourself *kitten*". But your probably far more polite than I am.

Good work on your weight loss, screw those guys.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You're showing them up! Good for you. I agree with whoever said it can be a bit of a shock *but 5' & 130lbs doesn't sound like underweight. Keep doing what you're doing, they'll get used to it :)
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    my God, i hate people. literally, there is nothing one can do that will make them happy. EVER. i usually dont tend to just ignore them i call people out on things, generally they feel stupid and then spend months trying to make it up to me.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Are these people that normally support you or have they always been a bit catty? Losing weight is wonderful-congrats, but with a shoulder injury perhaps you couldn't exercise. Sometimes losing alot of weight can make one "skinny fat". Only you can evaluate your situation. It's highly possible that they are just jealous. On the other hand moving more might give you a body that's more fit. If that's the case, use their remarks to push you to do more. Remember that you're on the right road and keep going. Best.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. :) Maybe they were surprised as much as they were rude.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I'm 5ft and know that at 130lbs you would not look "thin" so it's jealously, pure and simple. I bet they said the mean things then went and stuffed their faces with cream donuts and cookies lol
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    you are obviously on the right path, that is why their jealousy has come out. Unfortunately some people just cant be happy for others. dont pay them any attention.
    Good luck and keep at it.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You did something that others have convinced themselves they can't and that p*sses them off. Chalk it up to witch hunt mentality, enjoy your success and I wish you continued success!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. People can be just jealous or downright rude. Ignore them, you know yourself how well you look, you don't need others opinions.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Jealousy does strange things to people. Please ignore! :)

Congratulations on your amazing loss.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ha!!! That is classic jealousy.

Just smile...you've worked very hard for this. ;)
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    and what do your male colleagues say?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Have some quick retorts in your back pocket the next time someone blurts out something stupid. As for overhearing gossips, all you can do is pretend you didn't hear it.

Here's one I've used, "Why, thank you. It was a lot of hard work, but I'm happy with the results. *big smile*"

I call it my "shark smile", bold as you please, full eye contact. Exude confidence. The weenies will shrink away in the blaze of your self confidence.

Which is a clue as to what they are lacking.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    They're mean because they have issues. Those issues are usually chock full of insecurities and feeling of inadequacy. Knocking you down is their attempt at making themselves feel better. If they make you lower than them, they can pretend that they're better than someone else, which is what they desperately want to be. It never works for more than a minute and often doesn't even work for the minute.

Think about it. How often do you see someone who is bubbling over with joy making fun of someone else? Not very! Nastiness is not the sign of a happy, content person!

It's all about them and not about you.

Feel badly for them (or don't), but I wouldn't sweat it. You can be sure you're flying high when people start trying to knock you down. :)