Heavy Lifting for Women

Options
Hello!

I want to give heavy lifting a go, I have about 70lbs to lose. I'm liking the look of 'Stronglifts 5x5' as it looks so simple to follow. I like that its straight forward and there's not loads to remember.

My question is, can you do this alone? Or do I need a partner?

The most convenient place for me to go to do this would be my work gym, but there's never anyone there staff wise and I can't find another interested person to buddy with.

I'm a bit afraid to get started to be honest!

Thanks,

Natalie

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Does your work gym offer personal training? If you have never heavy lifted before, it would be beneficial to work with a trainer to learn proper technique and prevent injuries.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes, you can do it alone if you have the proper equipment. For squats that means some type of cage with safeties or a squat stand with safeties. Bench same way, you need safeties when starting without a partner.

As said above ^^^ you need to make sure your form is correct otherwise it can lead to some serious injuries.
    If you don't have access to someone that knows what they are doing watch a lot of vids until you can visualize the pattern.
    Squats and deadlifts are ones that are not, absolutely NOT, forgiving of improper form.
    One thing you can do to get squat form down is grab a wooden staff, like from a broomstick. Place it like you would for a squat (decide high bar or low bar and watch vids to make sure you know the difference and placement) and just do bodyweight. Record yourself and compare to vids. Correct form before progressing to any real weight.
    Deads can be done the same way but you'll need blocks to set the dowel on. Then practice the proper form.

Neither will make you think you're accomplishing anything as far as lifting is concerned but that is not true. You're training your body for specific movements.

Get form down before adding weight.
    Then, if you are comfortable, and start to add weight, continue to take vids of your lift. Ask others to critique your form. Look at it yourself. Slow the vid down and check position and bar path.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    The prior two posts are both excellent. Short term, you can get by without a power cage / squat stand / safeties - SL 5x5 starts out with just the bar (or, as @piperdown44 mentioned, a broomstick) -- it's usually a couple-three weeks before you start running into strength issues; until then it's more form and flexibility issues.

One thing that really helped me starting out was the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe -- the diagrams and discussions of "why" did far more for me than watching a bunch of online videos. The Kindle version of the book is dirt cheap.

+1 on taking videos. I have horrible proprioception (fancy word for feeling the position my body is really in), so videos are my best method for fixing my form.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Don't lift heavy things- you're va-jay-jay will fall right out the second you pick up anything over 10 pounds and not covered with pink rubber.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about subbing dumbbells for barbells for the bench press. Thoughts?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you can't lift a barbell, use dumbbells. But don't go with dumbbells simply because you don't have a spotter.
  • MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have been lucky that I train with my husband but he recommends starting off benching and squatting in the Smith Machine if you don't have a spotter. You may also want to start with an EZ Bar for benching purposes until you get your strength up.

Lift all the heavy things! :smiley:
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    also know how to bail out.
  • ekat120
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you can't lift a barbell, use dumbbells. But don't go with dumbbells simply because you don't have a spotter.

Why not? Genuinely curious. I'm getting ready to start Stronglifts, so I'm in info gathering mode :smile:
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    ekat120 wrote: »

Why not? Genuinely curious. I'm getting ready to start Stronglifts, so I'm in info gathering mode :smile:

When lifting with StrongLifts you start pretty light and shouldn't need a spotter. It's not until things starting feeling heavy that you might consider a spotter. If you can manage the bar then DB's are a good starting place, but at some point you'll want to transition to the bar.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I've done stronglifts, new rules of lifting for women, 3x5 with some accessories and now PHUL almost all by myself. The gym is busy but plenty of times there is no one near me when I am doing a lift because I like to go when it's less busy and more convenient for me (after work at 11 pm). It helps to use things like power cage or squat rack for certain lifts, or to know what to do on others. Know how to fail, or even practice it with really light weight. Also, if you are paying attention to your body, as you go through the program you can feel when you might not have enough energy for another rep.

For bench press, some options include: the "oh $%^7" rack spot as it's lower so manageable often if the bench has that, or don't use clips and let the plates slide off one side, or roll it down your body and sit up (mentioned on female bodybuilding forum as it's easy enough when not doing over 135 and such). So far I've done up to 100 alone with no issues other than I start off tad off kilter often as I have short arms (i'm short in general) so can barely get the bar off the rack to begin with. Might be nice to have assistance then but still manageable without.

Some of the lifts are hard to start with at the base recommendation. I know OHP in particular is one many of us have either gone to lower, fixed weights, lighter bar or dumbbells in the beginning. DBs are okay but the bar will have a different feel and I lift far more total with the barbell than dumbbells. I'm on 30 db incline bench but over 70 for bar incline (getting more used to incline with this program) and 100 for flat bench.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    With SL as the lifts start with 20kg/44lb bar it's easier to start with DB until you are able to bench or oh press with the bar unless you have access to a light weight bar and smaller plates. You can do the program as others suggested without a partner and rack not necessary to begin with but as you progress it is needed. Most important thing is to get the form right for squat and deads to begin with.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've ever needed a spot for has been bench; and that's only been over 100lbs. I've been lifting for a couple of years now.

If you ever need a spot, that's usually part of the gym staffs' job. You can really go it alone; most everyone at my gym does. It is nice to have a friend that can check your form, but again, that's usually part of the gym staffs' job too....or you can usually sign up with a trainer for a short duration to check form.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I've never done SL so I don't know all its particulars but the programs I've done have never had me work to failure on bench press. I've never come close to failure when following the directions.
  • ekat120
    Options

I've never done SL so I don't know all its particulars but the programs I've done have never had me work to failure on bench press. I've never come close to failure when following the directions.

That's true, I'll probably get a better feel for where my failure is as I go. I had one time when I almost didn't make it on my last rep, so it's in the back of my mind now. I can do the bar, but more worried about what happens as I progress. No shame in rolling it off of me if it really comes down to it I guess :smile:
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Just stay safe! Alot of people have been injured or died while wieght lifting alone. So be sure someone is near just in case
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Find access to a power rack. The safest way to workout alone.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I do a modified safer version that I do alone without a cage:

dumbells for bench press (safer than a bar when alone).
    squats as a warm up with weights I can get over my head.
    more deadlifts - to compensate for lack of squats.

I also add incline bench press in there because I'm trying to develop my upper chest/clavicle area, and chin-ups which are brilliant (and I think is the biggest hole in the stronglifts routine)