Actually Living or Just 'Being?'

Options
xstarxdustx
xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
Are you doing what you were 'born to do' in your current profession and truly loving it or is it something to just get the bills paid?

If you've found what you were 'meant' to do in life, how'd you find it?

If not, do you believe it is just a bunch of hogwash? In other words, do you believe there is some truth to the saying that if you find what you were 'meant to do,' you never work a day in your life?

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I was not one of those fortunate people who ever found their true passion and were able to make a living at it. At the time I was a single mother raising my kids, I had a 'job' that paid the bills, and allowed me to take care of my children and have a life with them away from my job. They were my priority. The job was just a paycheck.

That said, I did have opportunities to feed my passion for singing, and even was paid a little at times, but I knew it would never be a full-time profession for me. And that way, it never became a 'job' that I had to do. I could sing when and where I wanted to, and was a slave to no one while doing so.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I am incredibly lucky to say I am doing what I was born to do. I knew I wanted to be an artist when I was 3 and never changed my mind. I went to school for it, and am now doing it. I am sitting in my studio right now. Although now I feel a little guilty about being on the computer instead of working on my new painting.:grumble:
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've known since I was in the 4th grade I wanted to work with children. I taught preschool for a couple years, and now I'm the Executive Director of the preschool. I absolutely LOVE my job and look forward to going to work every day. I am truly blessed.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    What is this "paying the bills" concept? Is it something to do with the "employed" malarkey the kids are talking about these days?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Paying the bills. My job is the one aspect of my life that I am not happy with. I know I need to change it by that is a whole other issue I am not ready to face so I deal in other ways.

ETA - I try to actually live in the rest of my life. My job has some great aspects but some really bad as well.
  • xstarxdustx
    Options
    Great feedback so far. Thank you everyone.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I do believe that there are thing we are meant to do/enjoy more. Unfortunately it took me many years to figure out what those things might be for me. I had already chosen my profession.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I love my job. I love being in 'sales', managing accounts, and being a trusted consultant to Fortune 500 companies.

However, I never thought I would be in the particular industry I work. Most people in my industry (Risk Management / Insurance Claims) don't go to school and plan their career around this profession, they usually 'fall into it' by accident.

However, I have been in sales in many different industries-- and I can honestly say that I was born to be in sales. I'm extremely persuasive, and have a knack for reading people. I enjoy the 'high' I get from closing a deal, and I'm extremely competitive and always want to be the best.

When I was a kid, I really thought I was either going to be a lawyer or be a movie star (seriously). LOL
  • xstarxdustx
    Options
    I do believe that there are thing we are meant to do/enjoy more. Unfortunately it took me many years to figure out what those things might be for me. I had already chosen my profession.

In the midst of trying to do that now before it's 'too late.' Though it seems like there's no real way to know without simply 'doing' and 'trying' though that could take a lifetime....Also agree with Debbie and do not want to end up killing any hobbies because they are 'made a job.'
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I do a bit of both. The job that I have that I love, and never feels like a second of work, is one that does not provide anywhere near the income necessary to pay the bills for the lifestyle I want to live (which is nothing grand, I assure you). I have a "real" job that I enjoy, and is a good match for my skills and I work with good people and all kinds of things that make it not a bad job. But it's a job, I don't have passion to go to work, and I enjoy my time off. This "real" job pays the bills. My job that doesn't feel like work provides my discretionary income.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my job. I like the work, they treat me well, I make decent money, and my co-workers are some of my best friends. I've been there 12 years and will probably be there until I retire. That being said, it's just a job to me, not any deep seated passion. I'm not sure what that would be. I work to pay the bills, and to pay for all my extracurricular activities, which are many.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I enjoy my job. I like the work, they treat me well, I make decent money, and my co-workers are some of my best friends. I've been there 12 years and will probably be there until I retire. That being said, it's just a job to me, not any deep seated passion. I'm not sure what that would be. I work to pay the bills, and to pay for all my extracurricular activities, which are many.

I would be happy with that.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    It's something I can deal with and enjoy at times, what I'm good at, and the pay is there, so I guess I'm half in. It is great if your job is your passion, but not everyone's passion is going to pay the bills.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    In other words, do you believe there is some truth to the saying that if you find what you were 'meant to do,' you never work a day in your life?

Maybe it's because I'm a dancer, but I think that in order to do what you love it requires a lot of work. There are moments that you will love, but still lots of work. Same for my husband. He is a physicist, and that has always been his passion (Math, Physics, Creating, Inventing, Designing, Alternative Energy), but it's still very hard work and long hours and little sleep. If I decide to pursue another interest, it will also require a lot of work.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    In other words, do you believe there is some truth to the saying that if you find what you were 'meant to do,' you never work a day in your life?

Maybe it's because I'm a dancer, but I think that in order to do what you love it requires a lot of work. There are moments that you will love, but still lots of work. Same for my husband. He is a physicist, and that has always been his passion (Math, Physics, Creating, Inventing, Designing, Alternative Energy), but it's still very hard work and long hours and little sleep. If I decide to pursue another interest, it will also require a lot of work.

Yup. Effort. Bravery. Singlemindedness. Most of the people I know who love what they do were committed to their training, stuck with it, even though parts of it were boring or long. (Mind you, they were usually so focused that all that wasn't always work.) Others were bold enough to go their own ways. None of them were all that interested in doing what other people thought they should do. They followed their talent/ambition, whether it was hairdressing or medicine.

I've seen people get places in corporate land that they liked well enough. They're more opportunists, in the best possible sense. They saw & acted on chances available to them, without hesitating. Good at making decisions quickly, and very skilled at maneuvering office politics.

I spent a long time being confused and reactive, but am about 1/3rd of the way towards doing what I ought to have done to start with. Doing my damndest to avoid doing pointless bureaucratic paper shuffling. Offices - NEVER AGAIN.

but: as for 'meant to be doing'? Nah. I mean we're all better or worse at particular things. Some of us might be best configured for jobs that don't exist anymore, or won't for many years. But I think most of us could probably do a few things really well, given the opportunity. I think it's mostly accidental preferences and just chance that sets us on one path over another. responding to this thing, vs that thing, because of a particular teacher, experience, etc., at an impressionable age.

For me, I am willing to fight for a thing that works better than things I've done so far.
  • xstarxdustx
    Options

Yup. Effort. Bravery. Singlemindedness. Most of the people I know who love what they do were committed to their training, stuck with it, even though parts of it were boring or long. (Mind you, they were usually so focused that all that wasn't always work.) Others were bold enough to go their own ways. None of them were all that interested in doing what other people thought they should do. They followed their talent/ambition, whether it was hairdressing or medicine.

I've seen people get places in corporate land that they liked well enough. They're more opportunists, in the best possible sense. They saw & acted on chances available to them, without hesitating. Good at making decisions quickly, and very skilled at maneuvering office politics.

I spent a long time being confused and reactive, but am about 1/3rd of the way towards doing what I ought to have done to start with. Doing my damndest to avoid doing pointless bureaucratic paper shuffling. Offices - NEVER AGAIN.

but: as for 'meant to be doing'? Nah. I mean we're all better or worse at particular things. Some of us might be best configured for jobs that don't exist anymore, or won't for many years. But I think most of us could probably do a few things really well, given the opportunity. I think it's mostly accidental preferences and just chance that sets us on one path over another. responding to this thing, vs that thing, because of a particular teacher, experience, etc., at an impressionable age.

For me, I am willing to fight for a thing that works better than things I've done so far.

Very helpful as are all of the above. Thank you for the great insight.
  • xstarxdustx
    Options
    I do a bit of both. The job that I have that I love, and never feels like a second of work, is one that does not provide anywhere near the income necessary to pay the bills for the lifestyle I want to live (which is nothing grand, I assure you). I have a "real" job that I enjoy, and is a good match for my skills and I work with good people and all kinds of things that make it not a bad job. But it's a job, I don't have passion to go to work, and I enjoy my time off. This "real" job pays the bills. My job that doesn't feel like work provides my discretionary income.

Hadn't considered this. Interesting perspective, having both.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I like my job, and it pays my bills, so in that I consider myself truly blessed. However, it is not my 'calling,' so I certainly don't plan to be doing it forever.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Your life purpose is such a deep passion that it can be fulfilled in many ways - a job is just one way. But if you lost that job your purpose is still there waiting for you to find another way to fulfill it.

I feel like mine is constantly evolving.
  • xstarxdustx
    Options
    Your life purpose is such a deep passion that it can be fulfilled in many ways - a job is just one way. But if you lost that job your purpose is still there waiting for you to find another way to fulfill it.

I feel like mine is constantly evolving.

Beautiful perspective.