Any advice for staying on course?

Options
Ok so this has probably been asked before but its always nice to get a fresh perspective. I have had a weight problem for all of my adult life and have made commitments to lose weight in the past which I did for a time but then went back to my old ways. This time around I really want to be successful long term and I really want to break this cycle of losing and gaining. So does anyone have any advice? thoughts?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Don't go back to your old ways.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have to recognize (and did) that my eating habits were not only leading to weight gain but also not satisfying me in life, in general. It was simply past time to address the issue. My diet is helping me retrain the important part of this deal......my thinking. I really don't enjoy over-eating sugar or eating way too big of portions. It was giving me stomach problems.

I knew my portions were out of balance, but now it's a lot easier to see what's reasonable and a treat is truly a treat......not something I do every day.

I was misusing food as rewards or to alleviate boredom, too. And just having to diet has really helped me in that respect. No is ok to say to myself!

Most of this is mental, and my own attitude is really the key. So focusing on managing my attitude is daily. I'm still losing weight, but I'm prepared that attitude will remain the key even when I finally get to maintenance.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Make it easy and enjoyable. So log your food, incorporate treats (small ones daily or bigger ones weekly), find a form of exercise you like, and don't let yourself get overly hungry. In the long term at least, it's counterproductive.
  • sodapoppin28
    sodapoppin28 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I tend to look at old pics of myself of how I looked prior to losing weight and getting fit, that always scares me straight into staying the course. Try it.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I have a scrap book with motivational sayings and pictures- all sorts of stuff. When things are tough I review it and it helps to remind me to stay with it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Don't diet, make a lifestyle change.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Log every day! Log every day! Good days, bad days....every day. Don't beat yourself up if you go over. Record your feelings for the day....was it a stressful day? what was going on that day? Find ways to reward yourself that isn't food. Don't restrict your calories too much.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I had to change my perspective on food. It's not good or bad, it has no moral value. I eat purposefully now. To fuel my body, and to enjoy the taste. I don't forbid certain foods because they're "bad.". But if I do eat something without much nutrients, I eat slowly and savor it. I don't force myself to eat foods I don't like because they're "good". I won't be able to sustain that in the long run. So I focus on trying new foods, finding nutrient dense foods I enjoy, eating small treats (and I don't feel a need to binge because I know I can have them whenever I want), and I chew and eat slowly and enjoy every bit (eating slowly helps my to eat less...It takes 20 minutes for the body to realize that it's full).
    You want something you can do for life, and changing my view on food was very freeing and made my meals and eating habits enjoyable. Also try to visualize the person you want to be (I want to be well-balanced and joyful) and then keep that idea in your mind when you eat.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Remembering it's not all or nothing. I can eat "bad" foods, not get in a good workout, or eat over my calories some days. As long as I start again RIGHT AWAY. Not tomorrow, or Monday, or next week. Having more success than failure keeps the weight from coming back.

And trying to learn my triggers. For me it's stress, dehydration, or not enough sleep. Using my diary, and looking at it, has helped me recognize these things.