Shin aches when starting to walk?

I recently started to walk home after work which is a 3.7 mile walk with some incline at times and my shin hurts when I start to walk but it sort of goes away after I'm about half way into the walk. I can tolerate the pain but is it bad to keep on walking when the shin hurts? Since I am outta shape and overweight I was thinking it was normal and it will just take my muscles some time to get use too to the physical activity.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Since you're only walking and it goes away during your walk I'd say you're fine. It's going to take time to get used to that and this is a pretty common issue for people not used to the exercise. Ice your shins for 10 minutes after you're done and maybe look into a newer pair of shoes. If it gets worse then cut back and maybe only walk every other day but I doubt you need to stop entirely.
  • zkhanman
    zkhanman Posts: 132 Member
    The pain is pretty common and normalish for a lot of people. If the pain doesn't go away after a couple of weeks, then I'd recommend getting new shoes. Go to a fancy sports store where they actually watch how you run / walk and recommend specific shoes for you.
  • TechAaronLoyd
    TechAaronLoyd Posts: 339 Member
    It could be shin splints. They can be caused by:

Irritated and swollen muscles, often from overuse
    Stress fractures, which are tiny breaks in the lower leg bones
    Overpronation or ''flat feet" -- when the impact of a step makes your foot's arch collapse
    Weakness in stabilizing muscles of the hips or core

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member

Overpronation or ''flat feet" -- when the impact of a step makes your foot's arch collapse

Your tibia is second biggest and probably the strongest bone in your body. You have to do a good bit more than walking to get stress fractures. Obviously the muscles in the front of your lower leg are irritated from being asked to do what they're not accustomed to doing.

I do think that a good pair of running/walking shoes would help you out a good deal. If you're going to do this all the time then you should enjoy it. Find a running store and have them check to see if you're pronating when you walk and they can set you up with some shoes that have stability support so your foot doesn't roll in or out when you walk.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Supportive shoes and decent socks.

If your socks are slouchy, bunched up in your shoes, your feet don't sit right in them.

Stretching (after your are warmed up). I usually stretch after my walk.

http://walking.about.com/od/stretching/ss/warmupstretches.htm
  • TechAaronLoyd
    TechAaronLoyd Posts: 339 Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Your tibia is second biggest and probably the strongest bone in your body. You have to do a good bit more than walking to get stress fractures. Obviously the muscles in the front of your lower leg are irritated from being asked to do what they're not accustomed to doing.

I do think that a good pair of running/walking shoes would help you out a good deal. If you're going to do this all the time then you should enjoy it. Find a running store and have them check to see if you're pronating when you walk and they can set you up with some shoes that have stability support so your foot doesn't roll in or out when you walk.

Yeah I just posted exactly what Webmd says.

What I think it is is shoes... If they get splints so soon while walking don't think the support is there.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    johnnyh55 wrote: »
    it sort of goes away after I'm about half way into the walk. I can tolerate the pain but is it bad to keep on walking when the shin hurts?

Usually it is, but since the pain goes away the more you walk, you'll probably fine.
    Walk in "zero heel" shoes like skateboard shoes, Merrell's, Keds, etc. Most athletic shoes have a raised heel, which increases strain on the shins.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Are you taking very long strides? ? That could cause those sore shins....also footwear has an impact too.

But it's likely your body is just protesting as this is all fairly new...it will subside soon.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    As others have said, as long as the pain goes away during the walk, it shouldn't be a big issue. I used to get the same thing when I would go to the gym and walk on the treadmill years ago when that was my only form of cardio and I only did it sporadically.

I also had shin splints years ago as a gymnast from running and tumbling on concrete and the gym floor without padding. That type of issue is more serious and takes rest, ice and compression to go away.

If you find that the pain still persists at the beginning of your walks, or starts to worsen, you should definitely look into replacing your shoes or taking a pair to work with you specifically for your walks.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I do and have done a lot of walking, and I've experienced the same problem when I've done a dramatic increase in the amount I was doing in the past.

As everyone else has said, if the pain is going away, don't worry about it. Do think about getting new shoes, though. That's a nice bit of distance you're walking each day and the value of a good shoe cannot be overstated. I got the shin pain when I was to the point of needing new shoes myself.

Prime example ... I just made yet another big increase to my walking route length, but I have a brand new pair of shoes this time. No pain.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Look for dome shin stretches too. This can a lot. If looking for shoes, insist on walking shoes not running. Google running vs walking shoes and you should be able to fin some articles that discuss the difference. They flex in a diff spot and the heel is diff. I can't go into all the details from my phone, but I experienced some major probes because of this, even going to a reputable sports shoe store. Good luck.