How do I properly loose weight while breastfeeding?

Options
Hey everyone , I'm having some problems understanding how many calories I should be intaking. My daughter is 9 months old and I am back to my pre-pregnancy of 135-140 I'm 20 years old and I'm 5 '3.5. I had my daily calorie goal at 1640 to loose half a pound a week and then I add 300 onto that for breastfeeding (it should just cancel out .. from breastfeeding right.. as if I'm still just eating the 1640 calories?) On top of that I add 350 calories burned from my boot camp exercise class 4 days a week .. so in a day I consume like 2290 .. my question is should I even be adding the 300 for breastfeeding or do I just cut it out and just add and eat back what I burn from my exercise group...i have been reading you can safely consume1500-1800.. as a maximum.. I'm so confused please help!!! ( I haven't noticed any weight loss in the past 5 weeks. .)

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    .i have been reading you can safely consume1500-1800.. as a maximum..

First, as to that, disregard ANY sort of blanket rule of thumb such as the above. Any quality advice worth taking would take into account things like your gender, age, size, activity level, goals, etc and not just throw out a narrow calorie range to apply to everyone.

Now, specificially to your question - If you're maintaining at a steady rate over 5 weeks, while consuming about 2300 calories per day (give or take), then it sounds like you've found your approximate maintenance level. Maybe give it another week or two, and if you still don't see the scale going down, knock 250 calories or so off that. I wouldn't cut much more than that off, especially while breastfeeding, and considering you don't have a large amount of weight to lose.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

First, as to that, disregard ANY sort of blanket rule of thumb such as the above. Any quality advice worth taking would take into account things like your gender, age, size, activity level, goals, etc and not just throw out a narrow calorie range to apply to everyone.

Now, specificially to your question - If you're maintaining at a steady rate over 5 weeks, while consuming about 2300 calories per day (give or take), then it sounds like you've found your approximate maintenance level. Maybe give it another week or two, and if you still don't see the scale going down, knock 250 calories or so off that. I wouldn't cut much more than that off, especially while breastfeeding, and considering you don't have a large amount of weight to lose.

This is great advice.
  • michellessweet
    michellessweet Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Ahh makes sense ! Thank you .. I'll see if anything changes in a couple weeks .. if it does then obviously it's working just slowly and if it is still the same I'll just decrease 250. !!