Expectations

Options
superhockeymom
superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello all. I just want some feedback on how much is a reasonable amount to lose before Christmas. I figure that is 10 weeks. My goal has always been 2 pounds a week I just like the sound of it and some weeks I do lose that much or more 10 weeks could be 20 pounds. But it is the holidays and I am getting closer to my goal.
I have 37 pounds to get to
UGW of 135. But I would be happy at 145 for a bit. So how close do you think I will get and what lose per week should I ultimately aim for. ( and don't say 1/2 pound a week I still have a long way to go)
Oh forgot 5'8" sit at a desk all day.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    With 37lbs to go, 1lb/week would be a healthier aim. 0.5lbs/week is good if you have around 20lbs or less to lose.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    1/2 pound a week
  • superhockeymom
    edited October 2015
    Options
    A pound a week? So a deficit of 500 calories a day! That's like nothing
    I was think 1.5
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    If it were nothing, you wouldn't need the deficit in the first place.

• superhockeymom
    Options

I guess I mean compared to now it would seem like nothing. Must clarify
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    At 172 you should be able to lose a pound a week all the way down to about 150 ish. Of course this all depends upon how much you eat. :smile:
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Climbing on the 0.5-1 pound bandwagon. You could try to do more, but it's probably not going to be fun, easy, or sustainable.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options

1+
  • DemoraFairy
    Options

She didn't say it was was nothing, she said it was like nothing :P And if you're used to a deficit of 1000 calories a day, 500 may well feel like nothing.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I said 1/2 pound a week because you are only slightly above the healthy weight range for your height. Plus, based on your diary and past posts, I get the impression that you're going to eat under whatever goal you end up with anyway.
  • superhockeymom
    Options

1+

If I didn't need the deficit probably would not be on here. As nice as you all are I am here to lose weight and go back to the healthy me I was before the binge/ restrict me came for a visit. Pretty much just wanted to know if I can reasonably expect to be able to lose 1, 1.5 or 2 pounds per week for next 10 weeks .
    But thanks so much for your input
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

She didn't say it was was nothing, she said it was like nothing :P And if you're used to a deficit of 1000 calories a day, 500 may well feel like nothing.
    She equated the two via simile. The same thing applies.

If a 500 calorie deficit feels like nothing to her, then that's a heck of a win. She gets to lose at a reasonable rate while feeling like maintenance.

• superhockeymom
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I said 1/2 pound a week because you are only slightly above the healthy weight range for your height. Plus, based on your diary and past posts, I get the impression that you're going to eat under whatever goal you end up with anyway.

My only fear and I use the term cautiously I am not really afraid just a term is that I am very capable of gaining 3 pounds in a week if I am off. So the thought of 6 weeks of work to be destroyed in a weekend well I guess it is scary.
  • jemhh
    Options

My only fear and I use the term cautiously I am not really afraid just a term is that I am very capable of gaining 3 pounds in a week if I am off. So the thought of 6 weeks of work to be destroyed in a weekend well I guess it is scary.

Stop eating so little that you feel the need to eat 10,500 extra calories in a blowout weekend or week. Or consider that you didn't eat 10,500 extra calories and the weight increase is normal weight fluctuation/retention do to sodium or carbs.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

That's an extra 1500 calories a day, every day, for a week. That's a lot of "off."

• DemoraFairy
    Options

If a 500 calorie deficit feels like nothing to her, then that's a heck of a win. She gets to lose at a reasonable rate while feeling like maintenance.

Saying something is like something else is just saying it's similar, she was saying it felt like a tiny deficit for her, as if she didn't have one. She wasn't literally saying she would lose a pound a week eating at maintenance. (My comment was meant jokingly anyway, hence the :P)

I think if I suddenly got a 500 calorie increase it would probably feel like nothing for a while, since if I was feeling full at a 1000 calorie deficit it would feel like I didn't have to put any effort in to stay within my goal, because I suddenly have 500 more calories. That feeling would probably fade soon enough, but I know if I could suddenly eat 500 more calories a day now, it wouldn't feel like I was in a deficit at all because I'd be eating so much more than I was used to.
  • superhockeymom
    Options

That's an extra 1500 calories a day, every day, for a week. That's a lot of "off."

I am pretty good at off. No really I guess I just fluctuate a lot. Sticking to the 1200 has been difficult lately but if I change to 1.5 I notice it does not change so I guess I have to go to 1. I think that is reasonably. Although starting Monday when I get back from my trip I am going low carb again.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Saying something is like something else is just saying it's similar, she was saying it felt like a tiny deficit for her, as if she didn't have one. She wasn't literally saying she would lose a pound a week eating at maintenance. (My comment was meant jokingly anyway, hence the :P)

I think if I suddenly got a 500 calorie increase it would probably feel like nothing for a while, since if I was feeling full at a 1000 calorie deficit it would feel like I didn't have to put any effort in to stay within my goal, because I suddenly have 500 more calories. That feeling would probably fade soon enough, but I know if I could suddenly eat 500 more calories a day now, it wouldn't feel like I was in a deficit at all because I'd be eating so much more than I was used to.
    Which is why I wrote, "She gets to lose at a reasonable rate while feeling like maintenance."
  • superhockeymom
    Options

You are correct that was what I meant to say.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    Never mind I changed to 1 pound a week and all I got was an extra stupid 140 calories. Why bother! I'll stick with 1200 no wonder I am losing so slow I just can't make that big a deficit. I wonder what maintenance is? I guess it is probably super low. This stinks.