Let's talk about poo...

Options
So now that I'm eating a good bit of protein and slightly lower carbs, I'm feeling that I might benefit from adding in a fiber supplement. (And yes, I drink plenty of water. 1 gallon a day)

For those of you who use fiber supplements, what do you use - what works for you? When do you take it - in a shake in the am, at night before you go to bed, pop em all day long, etc?

Looking for some ideas so I can decide what I want to try. Thanks!

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    When I need to, I use the fiber that dissolves so you can put it in whatever you need. The other option is to make sure that you are getting enough fiber from fruits and veggies! I find that it helps!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My fibre is quite low, but I find that nuts and coconut oil do the trick for me. Also, I supplement with magnesium and calcium (which can be low when carbs are dropped) and I think that helps as well.

I would use low carb veggies to up fibre. Psyllium husks issupplement that some use.

Using sugar alcohols to sweeten food or drinks can also speed things up. A lot. ;)

Good luck!
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You dont need that much fiber, and there are plenty of foods that have it. Your daily fiber amount can come from an avocado and a salad, for instance (or an avocado salad!).

No need to jump to the Metamucil if you can learn what foods have fiber.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I also agree with making sure your dietary fat is high enough. That can help more than fiber, depending on your body and your diet.

Personally, I take a couple of the Target brand fiber gummies every day. Not sure how much it does, but it's 5g fiber for the 2 gummy serving, so it's something.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I was using psyllium husks for a while. It does work very well. The type you mix with water...plain psyllium husk, not any of the flavored stuff.

I would have it at different times...sometimes between lunch and dinner or before bed, but usually early evening when I was done eating for the day. A nice side benefit of it is that it keeps you feeling full for much longer, so it helps reduce any inclination to snack because you just don't feel hungry.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I like the fiber one bars. They're tasty and I can easily fit them into my calorie goals.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I like the fiber one bars. They're tasty and I can easily fit them into my calorie goals.

They are really yummy! If you are looking for a snack, this is a good way to go.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you eat your fruits and veggies, you will be able to save yourself the cost and the bother of taking a supplement. You can get your fiber from your fruits and veggies! Many breakfast cereals have a good amount of fiber as do many of those fiber bars.

But if you don't want to eat fibrous foods, the Benefiber or Metamucil will help, too. :)
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    For those of you who suggest fat instead of fiber for poo, beware, your colon and your gallbladder know the difference. Those Paleo people probably didn't have to worry about that much with all the predators and diseases taking them out but those of us who live past 50 will develop some concerns.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For those of you who suggest fat instead of fiber for poo, beware, your colon and your gallbladder know the difference. Those Paleo people probably didn't have to worry about that much with all the predators and diseases taking them out but those of us who live past 50 will develop some concerns.

I'm not sure what your concern is? Dietary fat is a requirement in the human diet. It is necessary for many processes (in addition to sometimes being helpful for bowel movements), such as hormone regulation, vitamin transport, and nervous system health, among many other benefits. It was mentioned to the OP to ensure that they are consuming enough fat, as that's one factor that can potentially help with the OP's issue, that's all. Has nothing to do with "Paleo," nor with consuming fat "instead" of fiber. I'm not sure why you jumped to that? Weird.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »

I'm not sure what your concern is? Dietary fat is a requirement in the human diet. It is necessary for many processes (in addition to sometimes being helpful for bowel movements), such as hormone regulation, vitamin transport, and nervous system health, among many other benefits. It was mentioned to the OP to ensure that they are consuming enough fat, as that's one factor that can potentially help with the OP's issue, that's all. Has nothing to do with "Paleo," nor with consuming fat "instead" of fiber. I'm not sure why you jumped to that? Weird.

I am a big fan of getting all your macro's, my concern is the popular "Paleo" type dieters, might also read this thread. I am not suggesting OP is a doing Paleo. I educated myself by reading 100,000 times more threads than I posted, when I came here. Having had my gallbladder removed and my first colonoscopy in the last few years, I know a little about what happens and how it happened. For example, don't worry about cholesterol and you can have a golf ball sized stone of it form in your gallbladder.