saturated fats

Options
How do y'all feel about saturated fats? I've heard several different oppinions. Some say they are good in moderation and others say the more the better as long as you stay within your calorie limits.

Replies

• Yogamat316
    Yogamat316 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm within my calorie limits, I'm fine with them. Mine come from whole foods, and they're unavoidable as far as the foods I like to eat. I consider them the "good fat," whether the latest studies agree or not. :) I seem to do better upping my fats over my carbs for energy, and most of mine are saturated.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    To me, it's sort of majoring in the minors.

I set my overall fat grams at a reasonable daily goal (about 0.3-0.4 grams per pound of body weight) - and meet it by eating a variety of different fat sources - dairy, meats, nuts, oils etc. If you're doing that, in my opinion it will work itself out in the end.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    saturated fat can raise your cholesterol which can lead to heart problems for some.
    having a past family history of those with heart disease and some dying from heart attacks before their 40's, i stick with not going over recommended amount and often shoot for less than that now that i am older myself. When i was in my twenties and active, i did not worry too much about it though and ate whatever.
  • misspenguinlover97
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think the jury is still out so I stay at or below the RDA most of the time. most of the time i'm well below given that most of my fat is sourced from things like avocado, nuts, olive oil, etc. most of my protein is lean sourced as well...lots of fish and chicken and lean cuts of pork and beef so that keeps it pretty low.

i celebrated my birthday last weekend with an Oktoberfest like I usually do and the Bratts and German potato salad put me over the top
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm within my calorie allowance, bring them on! :D
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Not a problem if dieting low carb.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    don't agree with 'more the better' - you'll get a taste for greasy foods (same can happen with sugar), which won't help you in the long run. Better to develop a taste for low fat, low sugar foods, then you'll be safe when not counting calories.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I think saturated fats are benign and make no effort to limit them.
  • francoisd90
    francoisd90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'll start trusting the AHA when they stop putting endorsement labels on pretty much everything and anything.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm in the fine in moderation camp. I don't go overboard to avoid them or never go over, but I do track them and try to be generally close to or below the RDA, especially since I have been eating more meat than I used to. (I've never had an issue with cholesterol, but my dad did, and for him it made a difference to lower his saturated fat, so I figure it's worth paying some attention to.)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    This is something that I wonder about too, I am always going over my fats macro a little... (but I'm always low on sugars and not too many carbs either)
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'll start trusting the AHA when they stop putting endorsement labels on pretty much everything and anything.

The money for research has to come from somewhere. It's pretty much impossible to find authoritative advice from one group that isn't funded by another group that has an interest in the outcome. At least with AHA, they are consistent in limiting their endorsements to food that is low in saturated fat. Yes, they take money from Subway and so you'll see the familiar red heart with a check next to Subway's turkey sub but you won't see it next to Subway's Philly cheesesteak and you're not going to see it at all on anything from Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This is something that I wonder about too, I am always going over my fats macro a little... (but I'm always low on sugars and not too many carbs either)

Fats in general isn't the issue. (Nor are carbs or sugars the issue.) The recommendation is simply to avoid trans fats and to limit saturated fat. (Obviously some disagree or poo-poo the advice, but I think it's worth taking seriously, just like I personally think limiting refined carbs and added sugars is advice worth taking seriously.)

So I don't think there's any reason to be concerned about going over one's fat macro (or even doing a high fat diet, although it's not for me).