Personal training newbie

Options
Hey all!

I'm a personal training newbie. I usually exercise in a gym, but never tried personal training. I'm still in week 1, but on my second session I through out my back! I have back problems- specifically the muscles along my spine from car accidents. Anyone work with a personal trainer that had/has back problems? How did the two of you work around this and customize exercises? My big thing is needing to keep my core neutral.. any suggestions?

Also, any other advice on starting personal training would be great.....

Replies

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Did your trainer go through a full assessment with you that should of included a postural assessment, a dynamic assessment, a strength assessment and a flexibility/mobility assessment? Did you discuss your previous injuries, current physical state and the limitations you have with them prior to starting training?

Hoping the answer to all that is yes....

Your trainer needs to know everything so they can design a program to help you reach your goals whilst not making existing conditions worse. What did they have you do that caused you to throw your back out?

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately most trainers aren't qualified to address orthopedic issues like that. Try to find a trainer with an NASM-CES certification or a degree in kinesiology. You might also benefit from working with a sports physical therapist or a sports medicine clinic.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Unfortunately most trainers aren't qualified to address orthopedic issues like that. Try to find a trainer with an NASM-CES certification or a degree in kinesiology. You might also benefit from working with a sports physical therapist or a sports medicine clinic.

Seconded.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Seconded.

Third.

A good trainer would have talked with you for a while to understand these kind of problems existed. Additionally, they should have done some assessments on you to understand how you move and understand what you feel when you move as well.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Expericecnced rainers are accustomed to working with all kinds of limitations and adapting exercises appropriately. Trainer does not need to have personally experienced back problems to adapt for your needs. Even if trainer had back probs, they might not require the same adaptation as yours do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Did the trainer do a full assessment along with physically history with injuries? Many trainers don't know how to do actual rehab, so finding one that specializes in would be in your best interests.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png