Personalized dieting?? Maybe we really are all special snowflakes ;)

Options
12346»

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Yeah, overdoing the water just for the sake of it probably leads to some poor results, just like overdoing anything from fruit to steak to cardio.

I wasn't trying to defend any particular level of water intake. I was just pointing out that drinking 64 ounces of water in a day isn't going to kill anyone who doesn't have some massive underlying issue. If then. Almost surely, more people have drowned in 64 ounces of water.

Yeah, agreed. I don't think any adult would have a problem drinking 64oz of water in a day. It's when they try to drink 164oz in a day that it becomes a problem!

I drink 160 most days...10 16 ounce glasses. I just hate to be at all thirsty (I would much rather be extremely hungry than the tiniest bit thirsty), so I do my best to prevent it. It still happens though!

The point is, that amount is harmless, unless maybe you tried to drink it all at one time.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Yeah, overdoing the water just for the sake of it probably leads to some poor results, just like overdoing anything from fruit to steak to cardio.

I wasn't trying to defend any particular level of water intake. I was just pointing out that drinking 64 ounces of water in a day isn't going to kill anyone who doesn't have some massive underlying issue. If then. Almost surely, more people have drowned in 64 ounces of water.

Yeah, agreed. I don't think any adult would have a problem drinking 64oz of water in a day. It's when they try to drink 164oz in a day that it becomes a problem!

I drink 160 most days...10 16 ounce glasses. I just hate to be at all thirsty (I would much rather be extremely hungry than the tiniest bit thirsty), so I do my best to prevent it. It still happens though!

The point is, that amount is harmless, unless maybe you tried to drink it all at one time.

I believe the real harm is doing it without eating, which causes salts to go out of balance.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Different people have different needs and desires, so OF COURSE everyone needs their own plan.

I have this theory that some people need more or less of certain macros than others. It could just be wishful thinking on my part, but I wonder about it. Will they find, one day, that some people don't need quite as much protein as others? I lean toward Yes, lol.

As time goes on, they're going to learn new stuff and whatever it is will be interesting. :)

I agree, we already know this to be true; concerning water intake. Not everyone needs at least 8, 8 Ounce cups of water per day. I wonder how many people, are being water poisoned; by believing in this myth?
    Probably pretty close to, if not, zero.

According to wikipedia, death from accidental water intoxication is rare, but has happened. Generally, the factors associated with accidental deaths include prolonged physical activity and drug use. Other deaths that were not necessarily accidental include fraternity hazing rituals, children being punished (or rather tortured), or competitive eating/drinking. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

However, one instance did stand out to me-- Jacqueline Henson, a 40-year-old British woman, died after drinking four liters of water in under two hours as part of her LighterLife diet plan.

My company recently purchased fitbits for employees as part of our wellness program. The HR manager indicated that she wanted to have contests among employees on things like steps taken, active minutes, and "who logs the most water." I immediately told her that competitive water drinking was a bad idea.
    That's not 64 ounces of water, though.

I'd be surprised if any, let alone more than a handful of, adults in the history of the world have died from water poisoning because of the "8, 8 Ounce cups of water per day...myth."

Although wikipedia only mentioned deaths from water intoxication, and had no info on water intoxication that did not result in actual death, I think you're probably right here. I doubt 64 ounces in 24 hours would be enough to poison a person, unless they were a small child. However, the take-away that I know many people have from the 8 cups a day recommendation (my HR manager included) is just that "more water = healthier." I think this could lead to some poor results.

Competitive walking could also lead to bad places if people aren't cleared to exercise. You should make another trip to that HR office. I fail to understand why people would actually give health advice in writing (and have health contests!) when they don't know what they're talking about...well, why people who should know they can hurt others and be sued for it, anyway. Sounds like you should maybe talk to whoever is the boss and suggest they might look for new HR people.

People dying from drinking too much water is going to be a rare thing. A person has to force themselves to drink that much and refuse to pay attention to their body's signals.

Your body knows when it needs water. You never have to give it more or less than it asks for. Even if you if eat extra salt or whatever, your body knows what it's doing and will ask for more via thirst when it needs more.

Assuming there isn't some medical or psychological issue, always pay attention to and trust your thirst and you'll be fine.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've read a couple of similar articles recently. There seems to be a lot interest in gut bacteria and it's link to weight. It's pretty interesting stuff to me and I think those who dismiss it outright are probably the same folks that dismiss genetics role in weight and think they know all there is to know. Our bodies are weird and wonderful things. Lots we don't know yet.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Different people have different needs and desires, so OF COURSE everyone needs their own plan.

I have this theory that some people need more or less of certain macros than others. It could just be wishful thinking on my part, but I wonder about it. Will they find, one day, that some people don't need quite as much protein as others? I lean toward Yes, lol.

As time goes on, they're going to learn new stuff and whatever it is will be interesting. :)

I agree, we already know this to be true; concerning water intake. Not everyone needs at least 8, 8 Ounce cups of water per day. I wonder how many people, are being water poisoned; by believing in this myth?

According to wikipedia, death from accidental water intoxication is rare, but has happened. Generally, the factors associated with accidental deaths include prolonged physical activity and drug use. Other deaths that were not necessarily accidental include fraternity hazing rituals, children being punished (or rather tortured), or competitive eating/drinking. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

However, one instance did stand out to me-- Jacqueline Henson, a 40-year-old British woman, died after drinking four liters of water in under two hours as part of her LighterLife diet plan.

My company recently purchased fitbits for employees as part of our wellness program. The HR manager indicated that she wanted to have contests among employees on things like steps taken, active minutes, and "who logs the most water." I immediately told her that competitive water drinking was a bad idea.

I'd be surprised if any, let alone more than a handful of, adults in the history of the world have died from water poisoning because of the "8, 8 Ounce cups of water per day...myth."

Although wikipedia only mentioned deaths from water intoxication, and had no info on water intoxication that did not result in actual death, I think you're probably right here. I doubt 64 ounces in 24 hours would be enough to poison a person, unless they were a small child. However, the take-away that I know many people have from the 8 cups a day recommendation (my HR manager included) is just that "more water = healthier." I think this could lead to some poor results.

Competitive walking could also lead to bad places if people aren't cleared to exercise. You should make another trip to that HR office. I fail to understand why people would actually give health advice in writing (and have health contests!) when they don't know what they're talking about...well, why people who should know they can hurt others and be sued for it, anyway. Sounds like you should maybe talk to whoever is the boss and suggest they might look for new HR people.

People dying from drinking too much water is going to be a rare thing. A person has to force themselves to drink that much and refuse to pay attention to their body's signals.

Your body knows when it needs water. You never have to give it more or less than it asks for. Even if you if eat extra salt or whatever, your body knows what it's doing and will ask for more via thirst when it needs more.

Assuming there isn't some medical or psychological issue, always pay attention to and trust your thirst and you'll be fine.

We actually provide what we call "accommodations" for people who have medical issues to participate in the wellness program. Basically, we ask them to provide a wellness goal that is compatible with their condition and if they meet their own goal they get the same bonus offered to those who don't ask for an accommodation.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

We actually provide what we call "accommodations" for people who have medical issues to participate in the wellness program. Basically, we ask them to provide a wellness goal that is compatible with their condition and if they meet their own goal they get the same bonus offered to those who don't ask for an accommodation.
    Since this is obviously being done without consulting anyone who has any sort of sense - hence the competitive step-taking and water intake - maybe you should visit them again and suggest that they consult a doctor before they put their own little health contests in place...or a lawyer who might advise them that a doctor would be a big help in court.

One would think that an HR department with a semi-smart person would've done that.

People cannot provide their own goals and your Hr department cannot evaluate whether those goals are appropriate, lol. People need to be evaluated and cleared by a doctor. If people drink or walk themselves to death, your company could be on the hook...even more than a radio station, because it's now involved with people's income.

Since you already let the HR people know about the water, you might consider going in there and letting them know about the exercise. And since they're setting up company-sponsored health contests that could kill people, the boss might want to know what sort of dolts he has in his HR department.

It's your call, of course.
  • missblondi2u
    Options

Since this is obviously being done without consulting anyone who has any sort of sense - hence the competitive step-taking and water intake - maybe you should visit them again and suggest that they consult a doctor before they put their own little health contests in place...or a lawyer who might advise them that a doctor would be a big help in court.

One would think that an HR department with a semi-smart person would've done that.

People cannot provide their own goals and your Hr department cannot evaluate whether those goals are appropriate, lol. People need to be evaluated and cleared by a doctor. If people drink or walk themselves to death, your company could be on the hook...even more than a radio station, because it's now involved with people's income.

Since you already let the HR people know about the water, you might consider going in there and letting them know about the exercise. And since they're setting up company-sponsored health contests that could kill people, the boss might want to know what sort of dolts he has in his HR department.

Well, I am a lawyer and I work with a team of other lawyers as in house counsel. We've looked at the legality and liability associated with our wellness program, and have designed it as to comply with all applicable law. First, it's completely voluntary and not associated with your salary. Second, we do have employees go through a health screening, again completely voluntary. Third, it's not designed to be competitive (although some of our employees have made it that way because they all want to "beat" each other). Basically, you get a point for each day you meet your activity goal for the day, and when you get a certain amount of points you get a break on your insurance premium. Finally, if you seek an accommodation, we do ask for a verification from your doctor that your established goal is reasonable for you.

This is all HIPPA, PPACA, and ADA compliant. This is why when the issue of a water-drinking award came up, I nixed it immediately.
  • missblondi2u
    Options

Since you appear to be interested in the topic, here is a link with more information:

http://www.shrm.org/legalissues/federalresources/pages/wellness-programs.aspx
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I felt this thread was worth revising given I saw this research recently:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26474235
    In both humans and animals there are characteristic changes in the gut microbiota associated with obesity. In animals but not in humans altering the microbiota can result in weight loss and weight gain which does not occur in humans. This suggests that in humans the changes in gut microbiota are an association with rather than the cause of obesity.
    Huhm...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I felt this thread was worth revising given I saw this research recently:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26474235
    In both humans and animals there are characteristic changes in the gut microbiota associated with obesity. In animals but not in humans altering the microbiota can result in weight loss and weight gain which does not occur in humans. This suggests that in humans the changes in gut microbiota are an association with rather than the cause of obesity.
    Huhm...

You have to be careful with the microbiome research. I've noticed an increased tendency even in the researchers to either presume association = cause or to present their research in such a way that it sure seems like that is what they're saying.

Just this week we had a seminar given by a successful mid-career PI studying the microbiome and colon cancer. Her summary slide looked like this (stages were inside the arrows, but you get the drift):

healthy gut => altered gut environment/mild dysbiosis => severe dysbiosis => colon cancer

Keeping in mind that at this point she's shown zero evidence of anything but a correlation, a skeptical PI asked for evidence or references to research indicating the depicted causality chain. The presenter admitted that no one had shown any such thing for any of those stages. I think she did not intend to give that impression and realized that her slide was very poorly designed at that point because she made sure to stress that at best this is a chicken and egg problem.