Recommend food for high carb/fat and moderate protein diet

Options
So my daily intake to reach my goal weight is around 3200 cal, I normally get around 5k easy if I splurge as anyone would but the only thing that holds me back is having an extremely high metabolism. I've struggled with maintaining my body weight for years. I weigh in at 150.8 lbs. atm and my goal is to get to at least 165 lbs. what can/should I do to make my goal more attainable? Another issue I have struggled with is the fact that I don't eat until 10am-1pm sometimes not until dinner time. There are numerous days where I am plain just not hungry. How can I kick start my hunger earlier in the day? Super foods people! Enlighten me please!:)

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    eat calorie dense foods like ice cream, peanut butter, bagels, pasta, fatty meats, full fat yogurt and cottage cheese, etc, etc, and make sure that you get adequate nutrition and hit your macros.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    You don't have a high metabolism. You're a human being... You're not Superman. You have a normal metabolism.

The reason you are underweight is either 1) You don't eat enough, and/or 2) You are an active person... probably both.

You are likely Moderately Active, which means your maintenance calories are approximately 2,460 cals/day. To gain weight without adding too much body fat, you would add 10-20% to that target. Therefore, you would need to consume 2,706 - 2,952 calories per day for your goal.
    • Lightly Active:
      1-3 days/week light exercise/sports
    • Moderately Active:
      3-5 days/week moderate exercise/sports
    • Very Active:
      6-7 days/week hard exercise/sports

If you have trouble gaining weight, then you need to consistently adhere to these macronutrient guidelines:

Protein: 0.60-0.82 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the highest amount justified by research for active individuals.

Dietary Fat: 0.40-0.45 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the lowest amount implied by clinical observation (unless obese). More would be better if maintaining or bulking.

Remaining caloric budget: whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer, notably a rich variety of nutritious high fiber carbs, highly nutritious foods, and healthy fats.
  • jpacheco2394
    jpacheco2394 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Really appreciate it!!!
  • banannerbelle
    banannerbelle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try not to fill your caloric requirement with awful, sugary and refined junk foods: there are healthful foods you can try that pack in a lot of calories, a lot of nutrients, and none of the stuff that will make you sick. Your body will thank you!

Try: avocados, nuts and seeds, unprocessed nut and seed butters, cooking with olive and other oils (coconut oil may even taste good stirred into porridge and coffee, or used in baked goods), cheese, whole eggs, beef, steel-cut oats, add-ins like fruit and flax seeds, whole grains (especially quinoa!). I've seen Greek-style yogurts with upwards of 270 calories a cup, so give that a try, throw it in a smoothie or top it with seed-and-nut rich granola and you're good to go! Eating something earlier in the day should stimulate your appetite: try something sweet, maybe a protein bar for breakfast, and see what it does. Don't forget your veggies: you need those nutrients.

Protein powder or nutrition drinks can help you fill in gaps as well, especially when you're not hungry; and it's easy to fit a lot of calories into a smoothie. Dark chocolate is also calorie-heavy but contains less sugar than milk chocolate.

And of course lifting, if you want to gain muscle :)
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Try not to fill your caloric requirement with awful, sugary and refined junk foods: there are healthful foods you can try that pack in a lot of calories, a lot of nutrients, and none of the stuff that will make you sick. Your body will thank you!

Try: avocados, nuts and seeds, unprocessed nut and seed butters, cooking with olive and other oils (coconut oil may even taste good stirred into porridge and coffee, or used in baked goods), cheese, whole eggs, beef, steel-cut oats, add-ins like fruit and flax seeds, whole grains (especially quinoa!). I've seen Greek-style yogurts with upwards of 270 calories a cup, so give that a try, throw it in a smoothie or top it with seed-and-nut rich granola and you're good to go! Eating something earlier in the day should stimulate your appetite: try something sweet, maybe a protein bar for breakfast, and see what it does. Don't forget your veggies: you need those nutrients.

Protein powder or nutrition drinks can help you fill in gaps as well, especially when you're not hungry; and it's easy to fit a lot of calories into a smoothie. Dark chocolate is also calorie-heavy but contains less sugar than milk chocolate.

And of course lifting, if you want to gain muscle :)

Exactly!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    High carb with high fat is worst possible diet! You will get fatter and fatter! Good luck with that!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    High carb with high fat is worst possible diet! You will get fatter and fatter! Good luck with that!!

ummm this is the gaining forum and OP is trying to gain weight. Also, one only gains weight in a caloric surplus, a macro split of high carb/high fat does not make one "fatter"….
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    High fat in my diet makes me feel horrible whereas high carb/low fat gives me endless energy.