lost a lot of weight from cutting out soda

Options
stacydc83
stacydc83 Posts: 13 Member
About two months ago, I decided I was done with diet coke, aspartame, and then decided all sodas had to go. I was about 126 lbs at the time, I'm down to about 115. Normally, this would be a great thing. I wasn't trying to lose weight, and I've always lost weight pretty easily, and at times I would get too thin. I'm on that route again, accidentally. What can I do, to make up for the calories I was apparently getting while I drank soda? I try to eat at least twice a day, but sometimes I just don't have the time. Thanks for any and all advice :)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Since diet soda have virtually no calories, what else did you cut out in calories?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm confused...how much regular soda were you drinking in addition to diet soda?
  • stacydc83
    stacydc83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    regular soda too. Sorry I didn't specify that. At first I had decided only diet soda because of aspartame, but decided "hey why not get rid of all soda too" so stopped all soda intake. Now I drink maybe one sweet tea a day, and a lot of water
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    So you cut the calories from regular soda, which resulted in a deficit, thus you lost weight. Nice job.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    If you are just looking to make up the calories you lost drinking soda in order to gain weight again, you can drink juice instead. Really, you can make up the calories with whatever you want, food, beverage, chocolate...
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I've had the same happen. I tried filling up the calories with "healthy" nutrutious foods. Unfortunately they were low calorie, requiring a large volume.
    That did not go so well. So if you normally get your micronutrients in with your meals, just eat whatever. Juice, milk, ice cream, potatoe chips, granola bars, cookies, etc.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i am confused…are you trying to lose, maintain, or gain OP???
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm assuming you wanted to maintain your weight, but you wanted to give up soda for health reasons, right?

If that's the case, you need to replace the calories you cut out when you quit drinking soda. It's fairly easy: choose high calorie items that aren't a lot of volume:
    nut butters
    oils
    butter
    avocado
    cheese
    ice cream
    higher fat cuts of meat (i.e. like 80/20 ground beef instead of 90/10)

There are others I can't think of. Those are low volume, high calorie foods. You can get 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and get in 180-220 calories, which is more than a can of regular Coca-Cola.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You can have some fruits ? Nuts? Could be better replacements for soda calories.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Great! Now cut out milk and bread, and increase healthy fats