Working through the soreness

Options
cnbbnc
cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
I started a compound lifting workout this week and the plan is 3 days a week with 1 rest day in between each.

Granted, I've just begun but after my rest day I'm still a little sore. Is it ok to just keep going and work through it?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yep. As long as it's just typical DOMS and something is not tweaked...go for it. Have a dynamic warm up planned, maybe foam roll, incorporate a couple warm up sets and you're good.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm never not a little sore in at least one muscle. I warm up and I'm good to go.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Yes. It takes time for your body to adapt to the new movements. The soreness will go away soon if you continue on the same routine. If you change it, and start working new muscles, you'll go through a period of soreness again. Of course, if you're lifting heave weights and constantly progressing and really pushing yourself all the time, the soreness will lessen but you'll still be challenging your muscles a lots, so it'll still be there.

My first day back at the gym I did only a set of squats and could hardly get up and down the stairs for two days. After only a couple of times of doing the workout, I have no issues with stairs and am not nearly as sore.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Yup. Work through it unless it is actual pain. The soreness will probably subside as you get moving. And it feels sooooo good to stretch when you're sore. I actually like the feeling of sore muscles!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Movement actually helps with most cases ;-) stretching and yoga also helps
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    My first day back after a significant time off, my muscles kill me for about 3 days. The first time back is by far the worst for me, and after that it's not nearly so bad.
  • Dez11B
    Dez11B Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    When it comes to DOMS what works for me is swimming. The day after leg day I swim for an hour and it pretty much gets rid of it. I've heard long walks help too. But swimming. Something about the water. Also not just legs any muscle group.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I started a compound lifting workout this week and the plan is 3 days a week with 1 rest day in between each.

Granted, I've just begun but after my rest day I'm still a little sore. Is it ok to just keep going and work through it?

Keep going, it passes very quickly.

When I first started the squats near killed me and I could barely walk for a few days, within a week or so I was absolutley fine recovery wise and have been since.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I just got back into lifting (after a 2.5 week break due to a minor injury that wouldn't heal). After the first lift I was hobbling everywhere as my legs killed me. I just lifted again last night and I feel perfectly fine. Just keep lifting roughly on schedule and the soreness shouldn't be bad.