Working out with a nasty cold virus

Options
I'm looking for healthy alternatives to kick this bug and still maintain my work out routine. Any suggestions on what I can and can't do?

Replies

• ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Don't push yourself to work out or it might prolong your recovery time. Just relax, get enough sleep, stay hydrated.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Rest and get better. Your routine will be there when you're not sick anymore.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Sleep, and drink plenty of water.

Seriously, don't bother. You'll just make it worse and take longer to recover. Better to rest, get over it, and then get going again.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you're sick, suck it up and be sick. Like someone else said, the working out will be there when you're better. Ignoring stuff and pushing through just makes it worse. Trust me - I'm the Queen of it. :)

If it's any consolation, you burn a few extra calories fighting off the germs.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I would suggest staying home and avoiding spreading the bug, and do what you feel you can when you're up to it. The cold will pass, and you will get back on track. Been there, done that, most of last winter.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    If you feel stir crazy take a leisurely stroll. For the love of god stay out of gyms & off the machines! That's so nasty. We've all worked out next to that person. Gack!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have a fever, you can work out if you want to. If you just feel terrible, skip it and sleep. Otherwise, just tone down the intensity a bit. Working out when I have a cold actually makes me feel better...it seems to make it easier to breathe afterwards.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    If you have a virus - treat the symptoms (paracetamol, stay hydrated etc). Rest. Eat nourishing food. Stay away from the gym so you don't spread your germs. If you feel like doing something physical go for a walk, do some yoga etc. I've made the mistake of returning to my routine before I was ready and my body punished me!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Stop working out. Get better.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd say wait until you're recovered :)