Calorie dense healthy foods?

Options
I eat whatever and whenever I want, and listen to and trust my body to tell me when something needs to change. The problem is, I weighed myself a couple weeks ago and realized I'd unintentionally lost 14 lbs. I came back to MFP to track my calories and make sure I'm getting enough in the day. I don't want to lose any more, but I also don't want to result to high sugar and high fat foods (which make me feel crappy). What are some ways I can pack in healthy calories throughout the day so I don't have this glaring 900 calories left at the end of the day?

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Please see this post in the Most Helpful Posts pinned at the top of the Food and Nutrition message board...
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Can you not just eat more in general? Or are you feeling full and that's why you want calorie dense food?
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you like peanut butter. The calorie count is pretty high.

Goes well with ice cream. Another big calorie count.

Quite a few dairy product are fairly calorie dense, and as a side bonus, you can drink them often.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever and whenever I want, and listen to and trust my body to tell me when something needs to change.

If bodies were at all trustworthy, there'd be no need for MyFitnessPal. Also, I'd be perpetually drunk, and possibly dead of a Ben & Jerry's overdose.

Don't listen to your body -- eat an intelligent diet, workout regularly, and monitor your food intake.

And to answer your question: Almonds and other nuts.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Almonds...very healthy and high calorie.\
    Peanut Butter...the natural type
    avocado
    there are lots of healthy calorie dense foods
  • SenditToSarah
    SenditToSarah Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Medjool dates are great for that--around 60 calories per date, and so delicious! I like to blend them with milk, cinnamon, a handful of oats, a few ice cubes, and a little bit of peanut butter-it's Angela Liddon's "Gym Rat Smoothie" recipe. I drink it as a reward after a major calorie burner.
  • lisaloolovesblue
    lisaloolovesblue Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I eat whatever and whenever I want, and listen to and trust my body to tell me when something needs to change.

If bodies were at all trustworthy, there'd be no need for MyFitnessPal. Also, I'd be perpetually drunk, and possibly dead of a Ben & Jerry's overdose.

Don't listen to your body -- eat an intelligent diet, workout regularly, and monitor your food intake.

And to answer your question: Almonds and other nuts.

I struggled with an eating disorder in high school, and my therapist helped me come to an understanding that it's okay not to count calories, or step on the scale, or stress about how I look. Bodies are build magnificently, and are pretty good at letting you know what's wrong.

Now, obviously, everyone is different, but that's what's worked for me, especially at a time when calorie counting and the like was a huge trigger for me. When I eat things like ice cream, I feel bloated and sick. When I eat well rounded meals, I feel great. When I eat too much, I feel full, and when I eat too little, I feel weak.

I've only started MFP again because I know I'm at a point that nothing will trigger me back to how I used to be, and I want to make sure I eat enough food now that life is a little more busy.
  • lisaloolovesblue
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Can you not just eat more in general? Or are you feeling full and that's why you want calorie dense food?

I eat until I'm full, usually. I eat breakfast lunch and dinner, with 3 snacks between. I eat what appeals to me, but often that's salads, sandwiches, fruits and vegetables, poultry, etc. I don't like a lot of dessert- usually just eat it if my husband dishes it up for me. I never allow myself to feel hungry- if I am, I eat.
  • lisaloolovesblue
    Options
    Medjool dates are great for that--around 60 calories per date, and so delicious! I like to blend them with milk, cinnamon, a handful of oats, a few ice cubes, and a little bit of peanut butter-it's Angela Liddon's "Gym Rat Smoothie" recipe. I drink it as a reward after a major calorie burner.

I will have to try that! Thank you!
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    my favorite dense food/snack are nuts.com's cacao based energy squares. does not take many for the calories to add up and they are healthy overall, they can be higher in fats but, its the good fats so they shouldn't make you feel crappy.. try out the assorted ones but, if you like chocolate too, i really like the chocolate paradise ones, the peanut chocolate chip ones and the raw cacoa goji ones and the gorp ones, these are best of all their energy squares i think.
    https://nuts.com/snacks/energy-squares/organic-assorted.html

since you like salads, you may want to look into manitoba harvest hemp hearts, they're very healthy and are great in salads (and lots of other foods too). adding 3tbsp into your salad will add 170 calories..
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    If you like vegetables what about avocado? If you don't want sugar, dates are ridiculous! What do you consider high fat? Because healthy fats should not be an issue for you...
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Easy one - Macadamia nuts!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Add some more oils to your salads as a dressing. Try adding some calorie dense foods like avocados wnd nuts to your salads.
    Switch to non light foods such as full milk.
    Put some extra mayonnaise on a sandwhich.
    Try eating the non lean meats.