don't worry about the toning semantics people

yoga, pilates, body weight, resistance training, barre
    Correct terminology is okay to learn.

yup, doesn't even exist
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_tone

really?
    toning

did you even read that?

Don't be silly @JoRocka reading comprehension and understanding context is not a widely used skill on MFP, have more realistic expectations.

gosh- what was I think @Sam_I_Am77 I must remove myself with this silly logic. No room for that here!

I've learned that if somebody likes the color purple and they claim the sky is purple, don't argue with them even if you're standing at the Grand Canyon looking up at a clear afternoon sky; it's still frickin' purple.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    How about this piece I found on bodybuilding.com

" When many people talk about being "toned" what they are referring to is a firm body with muscular definition and shape. This is generally a fitness goal that many women have (but also men) with the majority of their emphasis usually on their arms or more specifically their triceps."

"Mistakenly, due to the media many people (mostly women) think in order to "get toned" all they need to do is very high repetitions and very little resistance with moderate to long rests. They also don't take into account cardiovascular activity or diet in order to get "toned"."

The Myth Of "Toning"

Lets dissolve the misnomer of "tone" right now. The firming-up or toning is due to an increase in muscle tissue as well as a low enough bodyfat percentage to see the definition and shape of the muscles and get rid of the "jiggle".

Muscles do not go from soft to hard or hard to soft - they either shrink or grow in size. Muscles themselves do not "firm-up" or "tone".
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    The Myth Of "Toning"

Lets dissolve the misnomer of "tone" right now. The firming-up or toning is due to an increase in muscle tissue as well as a low enough bodyfat percentage to see the definition and shape of the muscles and get rid of the "jiggle".

Muscles do not go from soft to hard or hard to soft - they either shrink or grow in size. Muscles themselves do not "firm-up" or "tone".

See, this is where I start to disagree or get confused, one. You absolutely can have your muscles feel dramatically firmer while on a deficit, after doing weights or bodyweight that are not in the hypertrophy range. I've done it a hundred times by now, probably. Are those all supposed to be newb gains using light weight, then?

I'd have no problem with hearing that if it fit experience. But I think there must be an in-between stage, where the muscles are filled with glycogen or something? I don't know what that is, but I'd be hesitant to think muscle gaining were that easy, lol. I'll start suggesting Ashtanga as a very quick way to build muscle then, and everyone would really have a fit :grin:

I'm going to call that 'conditioning' the muscle instead of growing/putting on muscle, and I wish I knew what were really going on in the muscles at that specific point.