800 lb man kicked out of hospital

Options
I just happened to see this on the news last night, An 800 lb boy/man who is 23 has just been kicked out of the hospital . He is big, 800 lbs and I am sure, may have some serious, serious life threatening illnesses, but he was told to leave the hospital. He was kicked out because he ordered a pizza. I read where he did lose 20 lbs in the last 3 months, so he was trying.....just had a temporary lapse I guess.......really sad, on the news, they showed the dad talking to the news people standing in front of his SUV with his 800 lb son in the back......really sad. I disappointed that the hospital doesnt understand food addiction . If he were a crack head, would they ask him to leave if he relapsed? Again, this guy is looking for a place to stay and the dad keeps driving him around in his SUV for some one to him in.......Did anyone else see this on the news and what are your thoughts about the hospital?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I can imagine this wasn't his first time breaking the program's rules.

And, yes, many drug addiction programs would "kick someone out" for violating the rules of the program.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I can imagine this wasn't his first time breaking the program's rules.

And, yes, many drug addiction programs would "kick someone out" for violating the rules of the program.

Yeah... I was going to say that most drug rehab centers will kick you out for using.

Still sad though. :(
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I agree Sabine..........again, Im just as guilty, I am human.......I have " messed up" and been out of control...Im about 35 lbs overweight, so I can understand him being overweight........I just thought hospitals were a place people went to get better, not get tossed.........To me, I would have warned him, or taken the phone privileges away for a few days, but to make him leave? .......No
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    The US medical system is a FOR PROFIT business model. Till it's not, this won't be uncommon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I don't think they kicked him out for a temporary lapse. He was there for a particular weight loss program, and he violated their terms by ordering a pizza.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited October 2015
    Options
    lloydrt wrote: »
    I agree Sabine..........again, Im just as guilty, I am human.......I have " messed up" and been out of control...Im about 35 lbs overweight, so I can understand him being overweight........I just thought hospitals were a place people went to get better, not get tossed.........To me, I would have warned him, or taken the phone privileges away for a few days, but to make him leave? .......No

Do we know they didn't warn him? Even repeatedly?

As for taking phone privileges: what are the terms of the program? Is it a program where they "make" you follow the rules (which I would assume would lead to more recidivism) or is it a program where they lay out the rules, and you are asked to follow them for your own health's sake?

The article doesn't make that clear. That they have no where to go from here, suggests this was a last ditch effort, and probably a special program. There's probably many others waiting for the chance to save their health. How long do they let him NOT, at the expense of others who might?

Again, all hypothesis, since there's no details in the article.

ETA: The article says this 800LB man only lost 20Lbs in 80 days in the clinic...
  • lloydrt
    Options
    you know, there was a teenage boy recently, who was trapped. He could barely walk, he was almost trapped in his mothers den room, or some room that was his only environment that he could handle.

he put out a YouTube video, and low and behold , DrPhil show saw it and had him on it........I think this guy weighted about 600 lbs. Not sure

But recently, the same teenage boy was on it, and he looked great....lost about 200 lbs and was working with Dr Phil to turn his life around

too bad that the father didn't call Dr Phil, or worse, Jerry Springer.......believe it or not, Jerry Springer has helped get people removed from their entrapments and get them help.

I know Jerry Springer is probably the last resort you would want to have to turn to , but if your life is in limbo, you take what you can get...............
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    this is a very sad story and I feel sad that the dad sounds like he doesn't know how to get the help his son needs. I hope someone that can help reaches out to him.
  • k2mexox
    k2mexox Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Right. If he is 800 pounds. He is clearly bed bound. Taking away money and phone privaledges and serving the healthy meals would do the trick. When I have money. I'm instantly thinking about the food I could order. If not the hospital (which I know they can't take away certain rights) maybe the dad should do it at home and have an at home nurse?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I disappointed that the hospital doesnt understand food addiction.
    Did anyone else see this on the news and what are your thoughts about the hospital?

Something tells me they understand it just fine. (Leaving aside the debates about whether it is even a thing.) Addicts have to want to get better.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    k2mexox wrote: »

Right. If he is 800 pounds. He is clearly bed bound. Taking away money and phone privaledges and serving the healthy meals would do the trick. When I have money. I'm instantly thinking about the food I could order. If not the hospital (which I know they can't take away certain rights) maybe the dad should do it at home and have an at home nurse?
    And what happens when he's given his "freedom" again?
    He's got to want it and work for it, not have it forced on him. imho.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    My brother has been kicked out of several rehabs for not complying. Hospitals and rehabs and programs are only help, the person with the problem has to do the actual work of learning to care for themselves and how to tackle triggers.

If they're lucky, the program will offer help for people with dual diagnoses, like addiction/alcoholism + some mood/mental disorder, and can offer some pyschiatric help to go along with, but those are few and far between, from personal experience.

I feel awful for this kid, I really do. Ultimately you can't save someone from themselves.
  • lloydrt
    Options
    honestly speaking, how many times have there been guests of certain talk shows that have " relapsed" before they got it right.........Liz Taylor, the movie star abused pain prescriptions for years before she got it right......Mrs Betty Ford, the wife of the president who has a clinic named after her......she relapsed numerous times before the family did an intervention to help her stop her addiction for drinking

I guess Im just a softie about people and wanting to help....I will say, the father has to own up on this as well....like some one said, Andrew was too big to shop and I doubt he is employed, so how did he get the food and who bought it for him?

I hope he finds the way...........
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    k2mexox wrote: »

Maybe dad is part of the problem. Someone is enabling him and until that person gets help as well then an at home program won't work.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Unless you are sectioned it is against your human rights to be denied......20lb in 80 days at over 800lb is a shockingly low weight loss. Reading between the lines i doubt this was his first transgression.... all addiction patients have to follow rules they would rather not so why should he be any different just because he's fat and not a junkie.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The US medical system is a FOR PROFIT business model. Till it's not, this won't be uncommon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Indeed. At least kicking someone out of a detox for using can make sense, as it can negatively impact the other people also trying to get off drugs. But unless the kid was in a 'food detox' type ward where his actions harmed someone other than himself, it's sad they booted him. I understand the frustration of staff who are trying to help someone who has circumvented their program as well, but this kid's weight is probably imminent life or death.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I disappointed that the hospital doesnt understand food addiction.
    Did anyone else see this on the news and what are your thoughts about the hospital?

Something tells me they understand it just fine. (Leaving aside the debates about whether it is even a thing.) Addicts have to want to get better.

Truth.

In the city I live in I am aware of at least two people who have lived in the hospital for years because they are so overweight they are bedridden and unable to care for themselves. Thousands of public health dollars have been spent on bariatric equipment, widening the doors, etc., while these patients do not lose any weight and continue to live there. I have also heard that the nurses have gone in on more than one occasion to throw out all the pop and junk food that they have stashed in their rooms, only for the family to deliver more the next day.

A person has to want to be helped for any addiction treatment to work, and their loved ones need to recognize when they are being enablers.
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Anyone remember Penny from My 600lb Life? Some people don't want to be helped and are in a complete state of denial, no matter their condition, environment, enablers or whatever words of despair come out of their mouth. You can get all the help and empathy in the world but you will never change until you want to.
  • lloydrt
    Options
    was Penny on Dr Oz? I remember a girl, cant remeber too much, but she was on Dr Oz and really a pill.........rebeled against everyone and then went off on her husband............really a train wreck of a person, always blamed everyone for her eating, but she was the one putting it in her mouth...lots of drama and bagage with her