Best exercise for weight loss & toning

Options
Hi guys, I know that obviously I want to be doing cardio in the form of running/bike/rowing in order to burn calories, but what type of workout plan do I want to be following exercise wise?

I mostly want to target my bum, thighs and belly - but I also want exercise which speeds up weightloss. If anyone has any programs they know of this would be great!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss primarily comes from a calorie deficit. Exercise can help create that deficit, but it is more for heart (cardio) and muscle (strength/resistance training) health. Do the exercises you like and are able to complete. You can't spot reduce, so the weight will come off from all over.
  • loiscoles
    loiscoles Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh I meant targeting those areas for toning rather than weightloss, sorry!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    loiscoles wrote: »

You can't target specific areas for weight loss. Fat comes off in very individual patterns.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Squats! One of the best exercises out there.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You will soon be told to lift weights. Lots of people here have done tremendous work on their bodies, building up muscle and reducing fat. Some of them are really very inspirational and impressive. Sadly, they don't like the word "tone" and are frequently very boorish in their outspokenness about how much they don't like the word and how they feel about we who do use it. Don't let that detract from the rest of what they may have to offer.

Lifting weights and bodywork exercises are good for you even if you don't consider the toning up aspect. If you're hesitant to do that, focus on the healthiness of it as well as the fact that it will help you tone up. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Find exercise that you enjoy. This will help you be consistent.

This site has some great workouts: http://www.jessicasmithtv.com/exercise-videos/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I know that obviously I want to be doing cardio in the form of running/bike/rowing in order to burn calories, but what type of workout plan do I want to be following exercise wise?

I mostly want to target my bum, thighs and belly - but I also want exercise which speeds up weightloss. If anyone has any programs they know of this would be great!

Targeting bum thighs and belly with exercise is one thing...Strong curves I think is a good one for bums etc.

Belly planks etc...but it doesn't matter how many situps, crunches etc if you don't have a calorie deficit you will never see the muscle.

Exercise can speed up weight loss but shouldn't.

If you are on MFP using it how it's designed you eat your exercise calories back because your MFP goal will have you lose the weight you desire without exercise.

Just remember if you want to lose weight it's all about your food.

If you want to be fit and healthy it's about exercise...

Yes the two can go together quite nicely but don't rely on exercise to make you lose weight.

I didn't do any formal cardio my first year here and lost 40lbs...I ate at a calorie defict and lifted weights.

Last year I started walking and kept lifting...this year running..none of that helped me lose weight...it was my calorie deficit that did that.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Deep breath

Rolls up sleeves

Goes in

OK, toning is a media misnomer, muscles don't tone, they either get bigger or smaller. What looks like 'tone" is a low enough body fat to show the amount of muscle you wish to

For example my avatar is my torso at around 23% BF so you can see some muscle but I don't look absolutely ripped ...this is my personal aesthetic ...yours may well be different

In order to get the look you want there's

1) be at the appropriate body fat % through calories control. Note that BF comes off in the order it will dependent on your genetic history, body type and plain luck. No exercise can make it come off one place rather than the other

2) cardio is excellent for cardio vascular health and steady state cardio gives you the biggest bang for your buck calorie burn wise (well measurably ...there is some research that HIIT actually is bigger burn over time)

3) following a progressive weights programme...yup drop the machines, drop the small weights head to the free weight section and lift heavy stuff and put it down again

Read this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/

Get a programme
    Books
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

Why?
    wxy1lxqvbhdn.jpg

Check out Staci too...she rocks!
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

If you can't bring yourself to do free weights yet then do a decent bodyweight programme
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

But it all comes down to calorie intake for fat loss so don't forget your calorie counting
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

*breathes out*

:bigsmile:
  • loiscoles
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

OK, toning is a media misnomer, muscles don't tone, they either get bigger or smaller. What looks like 'tone" is a low enough body fat to show the amount of muscle you wish to

For example my avatar is my torso at around 23% BF so you can see some muscle but I don't look absolutely ripped ...this is my personal aesthetic ...yours may well be different

1) be at the appropriate body fat % through calories control. Note that BF comes off in the order it will dependent on your genetic history, body type and plain luck. No exercise can make it come off one place rather than the other

So would you recommend lowering my body fat % to desirable before then deciding what level of muscle I think would suit it? Or training muscle at the same time? I'm only around 15lbs from my target weight, but I have a huge body fat% of 29%!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

So would you recommend lowering my body fat % to desirable before then deciding what level of muscle I think would suit it? Or training muscle at the same time? I'm only around 15lbs from my target weight, but I have a huge body fat% of 29%!

No - strength training while eating at a deficit helps you retain a larger percentage of existing lean muscle. It's much easier to keep what you have, than to add back muscle lost (especially for women).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

You should be doing resistance training at the same time. Incorporating resistance training while in a deficit can help lower BF% more efficiently.

You may not lose weight as fast with resistance training incorporated, but you may see aesthetic changes more quickly than changes in the scale.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Sorry, you can't spot reduce. As mentioned, a caloric deficit will result in fat loss. Fat loss will result in seeing any muscles, that may lie underneath.
  • loiscoles
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Sorry, you can't spot reduce. As mentioned, a caloric deficit will result in fat loss. Fat loss will result in seeing any muscles, that may lie underneath.

You can muscle gain in certain areas
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

With the exception of newbie gains, you'll not be building muscle in a deficit. Again, as you lose fat, the muscle underneath will be revealed.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Sure, but if the muscles are covered by fat, it probably won't give you the look you desire. You would just have muscles under fat, not a "spot reduction."
  • loiscoles
    Options

With the exception of newbie gains, you'll not be building muscle in a deficit. Again, as you lose fat, the muscle underneath will be revealed.

Yeah, that's what toning is right? Weight loss + muscle gain. So toning an area is losing weight everywhere but targeting an area for muscle giving it a 'toned' look...
  • loiscoles
    Options

Sure, but if the muscles are covered by fat, it probably won't give you the look you desire. You would just have muscles under fat, not a "spot reduction."[/quote]

I wasn't asking for a spot reduction, but spot areas to have a more 'toned' look
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Sure, but if the muscles are covered by fat, it probably won't give you the look you desire. You would just have muscles under fat, not a "spot reduction."

I wasn't asking for a spot reduction, but spot areas to have a more 'toned' look[/quote]

I'm not sure what the difference between "spot reduction" and wanting to have a "spot area" is. But either way, you can't target a specific area for fat loss.
  • loiscoles
    Options

I wasn't asking for a spot reduction, but spot areas to have a more 'toned' look

I'm not sure what the difference between "spot reduction" and wanting to have a "spot area" is. But either way, you can't target a specific area for fat loss. [/quote]

I wasn't asking a target for fat loss? I literally never asked that and got told my 3 different people I can't. I'm asking for a certain area to have a toned look. Which is possible through weight loss allover and adequate muscle gain in that area. I don't understand what's not to get about that?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's what toning is right? Weight loss + muscle gain. So toning an area is losing weight everywhere but targeting an area for muscle giving it a 'toned' look...

No not the same thing. As you can't really lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. What you want to do is lower fat and maintain muscle mass. Tone, I guess means some muscle definition? which will come from maintaining muscle and losing fat.