Calorie count too low?

Options
MFP has set my daily calorie target at 1200 cals. I'm fine with that and have done my best for the last several weeks to maintain that level most days and started running 3 times a week (run about 2 miles in 30 minutes each time). During these weeks I have been lucky to lose 1 or 1.5 pounds a week. I am right at 200 lbs and only 5'2 so I would think that 1200 cals and running should produce greater results. This week I have been swamped at work and just run down in general so I slacked off on counting all my calories and haven't done my running. I've sort of kept a running calorie count in my head and I've been at 1600-2000 cals a day. Imagine my surprise when I get on the scale and have lost 2 pounds...without trying.

I'm ready to reset and get back on track with a focused strategy after this week of slacking off. I'm wondering though if I should be aiming for something more like 1600 cals. I start training for a 10k this weekend so I know my running time/distances are going to be increasing over the next few weeks as well. I've read on other posts that people sometimes have cal count too low and this thwarts their progress. If anyone has any insight/suggestion/personal experience with this, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    MFP does not include exercise when it calculates your calorie needs. When you exercise, it adds more calories for you to eat. So you should be eating 1200 + whatever you burn in exercise. Not just 1200.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Remember 1200 is only the base and this is determined based on the aggressiveness of the goal you entered. You then earn additional calories through exercise. 1600-2000 sounds about right.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's a whoosh. Eating more will not cause you to lose more.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't set your calorie target as much as you do.
    You're not eating enough for your size. Put your settings at 1/2 to 1 lb a week. Weigh all your food, log everything, every morsel no running in your head, doesn't work, even being off by 100-200 calories can prevent weight loss. Eat the calories MFP tells you to eat which will be much higher than the 1200 you're eating now plus eat some of your exercise calories back, I think 1/2 is best.
    Treat exercise like brushing your teeth, NO excuses. Find the time.
    Does these things and I bet the weight comes in at a steady clip( faster isn't necessarily better) .
    You want to create a deficit that is sustainable until you reach your goal however long that takes. No crash dieting. Doesn't work. Been there myself. You'll just gain it all back when you go off the 1200 calorie diet
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be increasing distance in running you REALLY are going to need more calories.
    Good luck with your 10k, and congrats on your new lifestyle!