How much weight should I lose per week?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would choose 1 lb a week with your height and current weight.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    With your stats, your lightly active TDEE is probably in the 2000 calorie range. So 1lb/week would be a 1500-calorie daily goal, which represents a 25% deficit for you. That's already quite aggressive and I would not go any higher than that, if I were you. Go with 1lb/week.
  • 89GermanG
    89GermanG Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    89GermanG wrote: »
    I'm 5'2 and 177lb. I know I have to lose more then 25lb but I'm ok with only 25. I've lost 15lb already. I do have a food scale and I weight everything. I usually lose between 1.5lb and 2lb a week but since two weeks I've only lost 2lb all together. I'm kinda stuck right now.

Ah, okay. Ignore my statement above then.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

This is irrelevant if you don't have a goal weight within these "have to lose" ideals.

Are you having a bad day?

No. Just pointing out that this chart is irrelevant because it doesn't take into account total body weight when starting. Just because someone sets an arbitrary amount of pounds they wish to lose doesn't mean they fall into the above categories.

Lets just say i'm 120 pounds and I want to lose 45 pounds. Should I aim for 1.5 pounds per week? No. A generally accepted measurement is 1% of total body weight per week. Or in OP's case 1.7 pounds per week.

I see. Sorry, I'm just assuming people know to set themselves a goal within the healthy weight range.

The table is still helpful (with that proviso) for people who don't like maths.

Like I said, my goal for right now is to lose 25lb and I might go down some more if I'm unhappy. Thanks for the table, I think it still helps.
  • 89GermanG
    89GermanG Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    With your stats, your lightly active TDEE is probably in the 2000 calorie range. So 1lb/week would be a 1500-calorie daily goal, which represents a 25% deficit for you. That's already quite aggressive and I would not go any higher than that, if I were you. Go with 1lb/week.

Thanks! I think I will go with 1lb.