Do you believe in self sabotage?

Options
2»

Replies

• 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am coming out 2 month self sabotage( Judas within) I let one day, turn into 1month3 weeks ( back into my obese zone ) one pkt chips, turned into 2 days ago bought 5 big pkt chips and choc!! after having no junk for +-7 months.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    sfinsc wrote: »
    Do you know why you indulge in self-sabotage? I mean, a deeper reason than just feeling like it's a reward? It might be fear. Sometimes not knowing/not being able to imagine success makes it safer for us to stay in the "known zone." I've done that before with things other than weight loss, and it always helps to verbalize my fear and why it's not actually a rational fear. You can do it! 190 is sooo close and right within your grasp.

I've been through the self sabotage struggle many times. I've come to believe that it's roots come from a true fear of success. We know how hard we've worked to get where we're at, and self sabotage is a defense mechanism sometimes used to acknowledge how hard we'll have to continue to work to maintain the successes we've gained.
  • stephiecm
    stephiecm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know I totally self sabotage. I'm a professional! :smile: But there is one thing I thought of that I'm going to try. It's hard to diet indefinitely or even just track your intake. So I decided that every 30 days I logged into mfp I would get a free day. I can eat whatever I want. Anything and everything. Oh and I have plans. ;) That way I get a break and instead of being a reward for an amount of weight lost or any weight based goal, it's a break in recognition of my dedication to living a healthy life. I have yet to try it but I have high hopes.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    stephiecm wrote: »
    I know I totally self sabotage. I'm a professional! :smile: But there is one thing I thought of that I'm going to try. It's hard to diet indefinitely or even just track your intake. So I decided that every 30 days I logged into mfp I would get a free day. I can eat whatever I want. Anything and everything. Oh and I have plans. ;) That way I get a break and instead of being a reward for an amount of weight lost or any weight based goal, it's a break in recognition of my dedication to living a healthy life. I have yet to try it but I have high hopes.

Haha I like this it sounds great just dont over indulge. I find that I can eat what I want in small portions and still loose its just the days I choose to eat out or over indulge all day that kills me.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    111grace wrote: »
    I am coming out 2 month self sabotage( Judas within) I let one day, turn into 1month3 weeks ( back into my obese zone ) one pkt chips, turned into 2 days ago bought 5 big pkt chips and choc!! after having no junk for +-7 months.

Thats terrible, Im sorry, but your back and youll kick *kitten* this time around!
  • bearondiet
    bearondiet Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot again yesterday. Today, really going to stick with my diet. I haven't been losing weight for so long.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    I'd believe in self sabotage but I'd probably just mess it up
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I was listening to the radio yesterday. They were talking about forming habits. Habits are, in some ways, more powerful than memory--a man once lost all his experiential memories and the ability to form new memories after a traumatic brain injury, but retained all of his habits--and his ability to form new ones.

What does this have to do with self-sabotage? Well, a habit is composed of three parts--a trigger (for the OP, reaching 199 lbs), a behavior or routine (overeating), and a reward (feeling indulgent because of the food). Habits are hard to break--ask any smoker--but they're not as hard to change.

To avoid self-sabotage, the next time you reach 199 lbs (trigger), kick off a different behavioral routine. Instead of eating out, cook yourself a delicious healthy dinner (your favorite!) that fits within your calorie goals. Or choose a non-food reward like a new jacket or a new pair of shoes, or perhaps a kitchen appliance that makes it easier to make your own healthy snacks. (The mandoline slicer allows me to make cinnamon apple chips!)

And (this is critical) after your behavioral routine, enjoy the heck out of your reward. You might really relish your healthy meal or wear your new clothing out to the movies--something that reinforces your enjoyment of your decision. This step is what tells your brain to make the new behavior a habit by replacing the old one.

It works. I've used this method to up my protein levels and cut down on sugar without having to eat kale or do any other unpleasant thing.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »
    I was listening to the radio yesterday. They were talking about forming habits. Habits are, in some ways, more powerful than memory--a man once lost all his experiential memories and the ability to form new memories after a traumatic brain injury, but retained all of his habits--and his ability to form new ones.

What does this have to do with self-sabotage? Well, a habit is composed of three parts--a trigger (for the OP, reaching 199 lbs), a behavior or routine (overeating), and a reward (feeling indulgent because of the food). Habits are hard to break--ask any smoker--but they're not as hard to change.

To avoid self-sabotage, the next time you reach 199 lbs (trigger), kick off a different behavioral routine. Instead of eating out, cook yourself a delicious healthy dinner (your favorite!) that fits within your calorie goals. Or choose a non-food reward like a new jacket or a new pair of shoes, or perhaps a kitchen appliance that makes it easier to make your own healthy snacks. (The mandoline slicer allows me to make cinnamon apple chips!)

And (this is critical) after your behavioral routine, enjoy the heck out of your reward. You might really relish your healthy meal or wear your new clothing out to the movies--something that reinforces your enjoyment of your decision. This step is what tells your brain to make the new behavior a habit by replacing the old one.

It works. I've used this method to up my protein levels and cut down on sugar without having to eat kale or do any other unpleasant thing.

Yes!
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    BeckyS155 wrote: »
    I do the same thing! I feel like I should be able to reward myself with a fattening treat, like I'm a dog. I'm trying to break myself out of this rut by avoiding places and not putting "crap" food in the house cause my family wants it. I hope these little suggestions help and know your not the only one. :)

Ya I don't keep crap in the house either for that reason and I haven't had anything like McDonald's in months. But like u I feel I deserve a treat so I get a steak that's been marinating in a pound of salt for three days lol

Lol. I think this problem is so common with a lot of people thanks to our mothers / fathers. Always rewarding us with FOOD / TREATS. It's stuck in our brains now. food should be fuel not a reward. (I mean some of it does taste damn good though )

Maybe try changing your mindset. Think about how any goodness you get out of it I's SO temporary and think of the guilt you'll feel afterward for consuming it.