Question about calories

I hit my goal of losing 50 pounds back in June, and was pretty much on maintenance throughout the summer. I usually eat between 1200- 1500 calories a day and hardly ever eat back any exercise calories. It seems like any time I eat between 1400-1500 I will always gain a pound or two. It makes me feel like I will always have to eat around 1200 or I will just continue to gain. Any suggestions? I have a cruise coming up in November so I want to lose another 10 pounds or so but then will go to maintenance. I am 32, 5'5 and weigh 137.

Replies

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    so you've maintained your weight for July, August, September on 1200-1500 calories a day? It does sound a bit low for someone your height, were you logging this diligently through the summer - with no other calories sneaking through? It surprisingly easy to underestimate.
  • lizzieh8604
    lizzieh8604 Posts: 4 Member
    I definitely had days where I would eat more, but not too often and many more days where I would eat between the 1200 and 1500. I had a few vacations and switched to maintenance and it said I could eat 2000 calories. I never got close to that and still gain if I go over even a few hundred.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    I think you ended up freaking out from the natural initial weightgain that is normal for maintenauand kept switching back to defecit.
    It is quite normal actually, read it here all the time.

When you switch to maintenance calories, your body is going to try and restore some stuff. So at the beginning, your weight will peak from glycocen stores being replenished and extra water weight. Also, when eating more calories, the volume of food consumed will most likely also be larger. So at any given time, you have more food in your digestive track which also adds on a bit of weight.
    None of the weight gain will be fat. And most often, it will naturally fluctuate out.

The least scary way to transition to maintenance is reverse dieting. So for a week, you increase your daily calories by a 100. Do the same next week. Keep adding until you reach your maintenance calories. Stick to that for a month. If after that month you still see your weight going up you know you are eating too much. If it goes down, you eat too little. Adjust accordingly.

Also, please never eat only 1200 calories and then not eat back exercise calories. You will end up with a net of below 1200, and will most likely be starving your body from necessary micronutrients.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2015
    I second all of what ^^ @AslSmile says.

I think you are getting worried about gains that are likely temporary when you increase calories, you really should be able to maintain on much higher amount of cals for your height.

As an example I'm older (46), smaller (5ft 2") and maintain easily on 2100-2300 calories gross (I am active).

You need to try and increase you calories slowly so you don't see the hike in weight. You also need to give your body several weeks adjusting - it took me 4 months to find out my proper maintenance calories and that was even with me upping my calories slowly. With time the confidence grows and you'll know you can eat more and not gain.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    ps I'm also going on a cruise in November, can't wait! :smiley: where are you off to on yours? we are doing the Greek Islands/Turkey/Malta/Sardinia..11 nights of bliss! :smile:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Reverse dieting as AslSmile describes works really well. I do it every winter when my exercise routine changes and I need to up my TDEE.

Once you have returned from your cruise, and recovered from the water weight/travel bloat, reverse diet up to the cals MFP gives you, then maintain at that for 4-6 weeks. This will give your body time to adjust to the new calorie goal through a whole month cycle.

If you weight moves up, or down, take that lb change, multiply by 3500 to turn it into calories, divide by the days you have logged, then plus or minus it against your MFP maintenance goal ( or the average of cals logged per day) to get your revised goal.

1200 is way too low, even if you lose another 10 lb. I am older (62) and lighter (100-103) and have to be a complete couch potato to maintain on that. 1400 is usually good for a more active me.

I too am going cruising in November. Just a 4 day Vancouver to LA. quite excited as it is a spur of the moment chance to try another cruise line.

Cheers, h.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    @middlehaitch your cruise sounds fab :smiley: which cruise line are you using?? we're with Royal Carribean this time round.
  • middlehaitch
    It's Princess, Ruth, we usually do Celebrity. Did Singapore, India, Dubai this spring. That was amazing.

Cheers, h.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    @middlehaitch we love Celebrity!...haven't done Princess..yet! lol

Have a great time away :smile:

Ruth
  • lizzieh8604
    lizzieh8604 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. So I want to lose another 10 pounds then switch over to maintenance, but until then how many calories would you suggest me netting? It's just scary cause I have not been eating over 1500 total usually but I am sure you all are right. Because I have been trying to up my exercise routine before my cruise and sticking to 1200 calories per day I haven't seen any change at all in my weight in almost a month. My body must be holding on for dear life. Haha.
    P.S That's fun you guys are doing cruises as well! I am doing a Mexican Riveria on Norwegian. So excited!
  • middlehaitch
    Are you using a scale to weigh all your solids and cups and spoons for liquids?
    Tightening up your logging would probably help as you have so little to lose.
    As for how much you should eat, run your numbers through the link below and it will give you your TDEE. How many calories per day including exercise calories.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Interesting we are all cruising on different lines. The Mexican riviera sounds so inviting.

Cheers, h.