What are your fitness goals?

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    1. Run a 5K.
    2. Walk 25,000 steps one day in the next month.

I have a goal on the horizon, depending on how I go with C25K and parkrun, which is to do a 4.2 km fun run in 3 weeks time. But it's not a goal set in stone. Just a dream at this point. My PB is only running 2.5 km so far last weekend, interspersed with walking.

1. Ran a full 5 km on December 5. Yay!
    2. Walked 25,000 steps on October 24.

My other tentative goal became a goal to run/walk a 10 km fun run and I achieved that on November 8.

Time for some new goals!
  • Orphia
    Options
    I was reminded to bump this thread after reading this article.

http://www.runnersworldonline.com.au/how-to-set-good-running-goals/

HOW TO SET GOOD RUNNING GOALS
    Written By: Meb Keflezighi, Scott Douglas

I liked this bit:

"Training to reach a goal requires a lot of hard work. When you hit a tough stretch, either physically or mentally, if the goal you’re working toward has deep significance for you, you’ll find a way to persevere. But if someone else thrust the goal upon you, when you hit tough stretches, you’re going to think, 'Wait, why am I doing this?'

"Most of us have enough areas in our lives where we have to meet others’ expectations. Let your running be about your own hopes and dreams."
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    My goal right now is to get in sufficiently good shape to play tennis this spring. Right now, other than weight loss, that's all I care about.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Stay fit, exercise regularly. I don't necessarily believe in the need to have a constantly moving target
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've achieved a lot of personal goals over the past couple of years (5K's, hiking up and around Mt. Royal in Montreal, ice skating moderately for one hour non-stop, strength gains etc.)

I'm currently working on:

- Increasing my upper body strength. My lower body is so strong and solid. I want my upper body to match it.

- Increasing my number of unassisted pull-ups.

- I'm participating in my first half marathon next year! I walk/jog everyday for 3 - 5+ miles but I'm working on building up my endurance even further. This week I had 2 - 8 mile days (broken up into 2 workouts). I'm aiming to do a complete 8 mile walk/jog by the end of this month and gradually build from there.

Other then that I'm working hard to stay physically fit and healthy everyday.

Setting fitness goals has helped me to maintain an 80 lbs loss for almost three years in a big way. I don't see myself slowing down anytime soon. There are always new fitness-related things to challenge myself with!
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    1. Do a committed Astanga Yoga with proper breathing once a week on recovery days. (Sometimes the couch looks better than the floor on recover days so I am still gaining this discipline)
    2. Practice mild Parkour with my daughter twice a week. (We need to quite making excuses and just do it))
    3. Jog outside 8 consecutive miles at a 9.5 to 10 minute mile pace. (Currently at 6 miles at a 10.5 pace)
    4. Run on treadmill a 6 minute mile from slow progression of speed starting with 12 minute mile increasing by half a minute every minute and then slow decrease in speed back to 12 for 35 minutes. (Currently 6 minute mile for 1.5 minutes with the stated above method)
    5. Complete 100 perfect push ups, bell at bottom chest hits every time, with no more than 2 second rest in perfect plank and no compromise in form. (I can currently perform 100 non strict, elbows out and not happy with the way the form looks when viewing the video later).
    6. Complete 100 pull ups in 30 minutes or 20 consecutive. (Now at 14 consecutive and 60 in 30 minutes).
    7. Do all the Max 30 workouts with perfect form, no max out times not even for a second, fastest speed possible and modifying only to make the work out harder. (Honesty and self criticism is what counts here).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,066 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I have achieved a lot of fitness goals over the years, but more recently my fitness level had diminished a lot. I was still plugging away trying a bit of this and a bit of that. But since I joined here in February, and started to lose weight, my fitness level has been improving again. :)

I have exercised every day except 4 days since mid-Feb
    (4 days = 2 days with the flu, 1 day flying from Canada to Australia - I lost a day going over the International Date Line, and one other day where there was just minimal walking because I was in transit most of the day trying to get to my parent's 50th anniversary dinner)

I have walked over 800 km already this year, hoping to reach 1000 km before the end of the year.
    I have cycled a century (100 miles in one day) ... that was in June.

So the next two goals on my list are:
    • Cycle up Mt Wellington
    • Cycle a 200 km randonnee

Since I posted this ...

I have hit my 1000 km walking goal. I reached it right at the end of November and am now at 1055. :grin:

I have cycled two 100 kilometre rides ... one as a test ride to see if I could do a particular route, and the other as the actual event. And I finished it 45 minutes faster than last year. :grin:

I have cycled another century (100 miles in one day) in mid-November. That was one of the more difficult centuries I've ridden with all the climbing, wind, and blustery weather.

I still haven't cycled up Mt Wellington, but that will likely be a March thing.

I still haven't cycled a 200 km randonnee, but I've got my eye on one at the end of January.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    To lose fat and then bulk up. Goal is 155-160 lbs @ 12% bf.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My goal right now is to get in sufficiently good shape to play tennis this spring. Right now, other than weight loss, that's all I care about.

Decided on adding a goal today! I was at the gym and noticed s board with women's names who have benched 135 lbs. New goal is to get my name on that board - there are only 4 names on it now.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Good stuff, guys!

My new goal:

Run 10K by my birthday in February.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    <3 To start working out again after recovering from a number of injuries
    <3 To get back my strength and cardio capability
    <3 To ride the 5 Borough Bike Tour in 2016
    <3 To complete the whole TA Century ride in 2016
    <3 To start teaching aquatics again
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    2 Olympic Triathlons and one Iron Man this year.

It is possible but training hard now is the key. Come the end of the year it will be too late. Come July, the hay will be in the barn or not, too late to get ready.

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My plans are:
    1) To get involved in martial arts and learn at least one
    2) Start lifting heavy
    3) Get to a 6min/mile
    4) Start waking up before class in order to exercise
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    To dominate life!
  • kkthnxbii
    kkthnxbii Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Progress to running 40 miles a week by April, complete my first marathon in April.
  • kyley_ann
    kyley_ann Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    To consistently log 15-20 miles of running a week through the winter.

I have really fallen in love with running, for physical and emotional reasons, but I'm still inconsistent about getting out there. I've come to believe that habits are really the bedrock of success.
  • Orphia
    Options
    December 14, 2015:
    Orphia wrote: »
    Good stuff, guys!

My new goal:

Run 10K by my birthday in February.

I was hindered by an injury, but I did it one week later.

I ran 10K!
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    1. Climb the hill behind our house without needing to stop for a breather - have gone from 6 stops to 2 so far
    2. Complete the City to Bay - walking this year
    3. Do 10 Push ups with good form
  • Orphia
    Options
    saires_au wrote: »
    1. Climb the hill behind our house without needing to stop for a breather - have gone from 6 stops to 2 so far
    2. Complete the City to Bay - walking this year
    3. Do 10 Push ups with good form

Good luck, @saires_au !