Middle of the night snack

Options
lodgehemp
lodgehemp Posts: 10 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm a mom to 2 toddlers and 2 cats...one of whom wakes me in the night about 3-4 nights/wk. After tending to their needs, I wander into the kitchen and I seem to crave sweets (most recently...nutty bars and glass of milk). Just call me Santa. No, but really... I love my sleep!...for a million reasons but especially because if I'm sleeping, I'm not eating. Cuz the moment I wake up- I'm starving!

Help me choose a better snack. Ideas?

Replies

• G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My middle of night "I am starving" snack is Greek yoghurt. It's dense enough to calm my stomach, yet light enough that I can go straight back to sleep. I usually keep unflavored ones on hand and add honey or maple syrup to taste. Its fast and easy for that hungry zombie state.
  • Evil00007
    Evil00007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dried Crisp Fruit Snacks. Dried Apples that look like chips can calm down urges. Also at 45 calories its a good substitute than a bag of chips. If all else fails: Raisins. They fill me up and help with bowl movement
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What about heating up your milk in the microwave or making a thermos before you go to bed? Or trying an almond milk? They are naturally sweet and the warmth brings out the sweetness and relaxing quality in the beverage. Sprinkle cinnamon on top or put in a little vanilla extract for flavor. Your body might be telling you that you need a little more fuel during the day however. Maybe try an afternoon snack and see if it eliminates the need for midnight food.
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Diet hot cocoa mix is my go-to middle of the night craving snack. It's warm and chocolatey and satisfying, but it only has 25 calories and is surprisingly high in calcium, which is a nice benefit.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I am also a midnight snacker, and I too love nutty bars!!! I am also a fan of Zebra Cakes and Ho Ho's. If I eat them I log them and try to cut back on something else the next day, but recently I have started eating a banana with some peanut butter if I need a mightnight snack and sometimes with some dark chocolate chips. Its about the same calories as the nutty bars or other snack cakes, and in some instances more, but I have found that with this snack, I am usually not hungry for breakfast when I wake up so it ends up evening out for my day.
  • WeighToGoJudy
    WeighToGoJudy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Diet hot cocoa mix is my go-to middle of the night craving snack. It's warm and chocolatey and satisfying, but it only has 25 calories and is surprisingly high in calcium, which is a nice benefit.

Try making this with unsweetened almond milk instead of water, so yummy and adds only 35 calories.
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    String Cheese, 50 cals and 7g protein