Gained weight now after 12 days!!!!

Options
So lovely to see so many people doing well. My story is sadly very different. Calorie counting has always worked for me in the past but have now been trying to lose weight for nearly2 years but to no avail. I am exercising as much as my medical condition will allow & swim for about 5 hours per week. Both my doctor & a dietician despair as I even GAINED weight after a tummy upset & am now weighing more than when I started here. My medication , which I have been taking now for 8 or more years does say may cause weight gain; dos anyone have any ideas how to deal with it? I need to lose 50 lbs.& am 59 years old.
Good luck.
batty aka Jane :sad:

Replies

• highrise
    highrise Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi Jane,

Wow, I'm sorry that you're having a hard time with this :( My mother has a similar problem - she's on several medications, including one for epilepsy, and she's unable to lose weight. She's put it down to the epilepsy meds.

Is there a chance you can change your meds (under your doc's supervision of course!)?
  • mookiemoomoo
    mookiemoomoo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    have they checked your thyroid ? just a thought as i find it hard to lose weight but dropped 4 pound doing this
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact that some medical conditions and/or medications prevent weight loss. I hate how people cast blame and say "If only you exercised, or ate right, blah, blah, blah". I had a blood disease that went undiagnosed for years and each time I went to the doctor with my symptoms (that included weight gain), it felt like they blew me off. Finally, after about five years of this, I finally was diagnosed and treatment was started. Suddenly, I could lose weight 'like a healthy person'. All the advice found in MFP really works, but you have to NOT have a debilitating health problem.

Don't give up, try to find a doctor that will realize that your medication needs to be changed or change the dose or try a different treatment for your condition.
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I know that logically it has to work providing there are no other factors inhibiting weight loss. In my case it is not possible to change my meds due to a stomach problem & without them my pain is so bad I can hardly move.I am , & always have been, a fairly healthy eater with very little fried food junk food etc & , due to said stomach problem, on a low fat diet . Guess I shall just carry on & hope for the best. Does everyone think the extra calories for exercise are accurate? Just wonder if I should cut some of those out although most days am already slightly under?????
    Thanks Jane
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Yes thyroid checked regularly also for diabetes but all OK.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating the calories recommended by MFP, especially the exercise calories. If you search and read previous posts on this issue, the trend is that everyone who has successfully lost weight on this site does this (including myself).

Many weight loss programs (like weight watchers) stress quickness over permanence and put people on starvation diets that are impossible to maintain over a lifetime. A person may indeed lose weight, but seem to always gain it back over time because they did not relearn good eating and exercising habits.