Macro setting?

Options
Samm471
Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
Okay how do people decide what to set their macros at? Do you go by how you feel? For example if you eat more fat than carbs you would set fat higher than carbs? Just curious and will it hinder weight loss or weight gain whatever your goal is? I eat a bit more fat than carbs so was thinking of switching this up. I'm slowly reverse dieting to maintenace but was just curious to how people determine where to set their macros at. :)

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You hit your calorie goal (whether that is to cut, bulk, or maintain) and ensure that you're at least hitting the minimums for protein and fat, as well as not neglecting nutritious whole food carbs, high in fiber and micronutrients.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did it that way - started with the default MFP macros, I think, and adjusted to suit my preferences. I define my split as moderate, but with a slight lean towards fat (42 fat, 40 carbs, 18 protein for my final stretch of weight loss - I'm maintaining, don't journal, and may have increased the carb part a bit, but I haven't bothered to check).

Calories is all you need to think about if your goal is weight loss. However, overall nutrient intake - comprising, but not limited to, macro split - will help you with satiety and performance, and thus feeling of ease, thus likelihood of adherence to diet, and thus your chance of success.
  • Samm471
    Options
    I hit my calorie goal no problem at all but I'm always over a little on fat I hit my Protein goal every day I make sure I do especially because I lift weights 5 days a week but I'm not always high on carbs. I do get carbs but my fat is always over the macro goal so I wanted adjust it since I eat more of that than carbs
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Then you'll be fine - carbohydrate is the "less important" of the macronutrients.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    How do you feel? Are your lifts going up? I find when lifting I do better on more carbs but it is an individual thing of course.

I checked out your diary for the past few days and you seem to be doing just fine. Try your best to hit your protein and fat goals, then fill the rest with carbs which it looks like what you are doing. Your macros aren't going to be perfect everyday as long as you are in the ballpark I say you are doing well.
  • Samm471
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How do you feel? Are your lifts going up? I find when lifting I do better on more carbs but it is an individual thing of course.

I checked out your diary for the past few days and you seem to be doing just fine. Try your best to hit your protein and fat goals, then fill the rest with carbs which it looks like what you are doing. Your macros aren't going to be perfect everyday as long as you are in the ballpark I say you are doing well.

Hey yeah I feel fine when lifting I am struggling a little with squats but I have just upped the weight on that so could be why .. I feel fine in myself just some days I do eat more fat than carbs so swapped it round a bit but yeah I feel good. When you reverse up to maintenace would I keep protein the same and change fat and carbs?
  • Samm471
    Options
    Then you'll be fine - carbohydrate is the "less important" of the macronutrients.

Thank you yeah I do like my carbs but eat way more PB and nuts and avocado etc than carbs. I do have bread most days and sweet potatoes but not enough to fill my carb goal up