Being Real

Options
I haven't seen the scale move at all in the last few weeks and I was becoming so discouraged. "But I'm doing everything right!" Said I. "The science of my body has failed me."

The greatest benefit of logging everything is that one can go back to weeks past to see if there are patterns that may be influencing weight-loss results. For me, it was a bit of a rude awakening. I have been exercising like a mad woman, but I was shocked to see that I have a trend of eating above and beyond my total calories allowed two (and even three) times a week. This has been happening on my weigh-in day (because I am so excited that I celebrate or so discouraged that I binge) and during the mid-week. I also realized that in spite of exercising like a fiend, I have only been getting 6-7 glasses of water in a day. To top that off, my sodium has been high and my potassium and fiber low.

I do feel like the last month has been a month of doing everything right. But the record suggests otherwise. The science hasn't failed me... I have simply failed the science.

Just a thought: be real with yourself.

Replies

• PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    VERY GOOD POINT!! I think we sometimes excuse ourselves from reality instead of looking dirty habits in the face! Bravo to you for making that realization!
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Options
    Very wise words indeed! One of my friends has a similar story, she exercises an awful lot but takes loads of fruit & other sugars and uses a lot of soya sauce in cooking and can't understand why the weight isnt falling off...

But you haven't really failed, not in my book anyways. I sure dont know many folks who can run 18 miles - your running progress has inspired me to kick on a bit more with the distances - so thanks! You have no idea,.. :D

Be good & keep on keeping on!

Kenny
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the scale move at all in the last few weeks and I was becoming so discouraged. "But I'm doing everything right!" Said I. "The science of my body has failed me."

The greatest benefit of logging everything is that one can go back to weeks past to see if there are patterns that may be influencing weight-loss results. For me, it was a bit of a rude awakening. I have been exercising like a mad woman, but I was shocked to see that I have a trend of eating above and beyond my total calories allowed two (and even three) times a week. This has been happening on my weigh-in day (because I am so excited that I celebrate or so discouraged that I binge) and during the mid-week. I also realized that in spite of exercising like a fiend, I have only been getting 6-7 glasses of water in a day. To top that off, my sodium has been high and my potassium and fiber low.

I do feel like the last month has been a month of doing everything right. But the record suggests otherwise. The science hasn't failed me... I have simply failed the science.

Just a thought: be real with yourself.

Never a truer word spoken!

In my opinion that is what is so good about this Site, you can keep an honest record and if, as you discovered, weight loss was ceasing, you can trace back and hopefully find out why and then rectify it.

It would be so easy not to record some things in the diary, but that would totally defeat the whole object of the eating and exercise plans and also, if somebody did do that, they wouldn't have a clue what had happened if their own weight was staying the same instead of losing.

Now that you know what happened, fingers crossed the weight will start to drop off again.:flowerforyou:
  • MJunebug
    MJunebug Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is easier to fail when the power to change is in someone else's hands. But when you are cruelly honest--as you have been--the power to change shifts and rests in your hands. While that power is a weighty one, it is easier to succeed when the responsibility rests on your shoulders.
  • whiteleg
    whiteleg Posts: 3
    Options
    I've had to do the same thing in the last few weeks... no weight loss but feeling like I'm doing everything right. I looked back at my reports and realized I haven't been consistently logging my food.

Thanks for the the good kick in the pants and the encouragement. Being real is really the only way to go.
  • JoyElizabeth
    JoyElizabeth Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It is easier to fail when the power to change is in someone else's hands. But when you are cruelly honest--as you have been--the power to change shifts and rests in your hands. While that power is a weighty one, it is easier to succeed when the responsibility rests on your shoulders.

This is so true.

Good on you for seeing where "your" responsibility was resting - at least now you can do something about it and move on to more success - a good lesson for all of us. Thank you for sharing.

Kind Regards,

Joy.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • blackchick85
    Options
    i think that i am having the same problem. i have lost 9lbs this monthm i guess i just expected better and faster results.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouragement and support. I just thought I'd follow up with this post. My weigh-in this week showed -4.1. I know that real plateaus do, in fact, happen. But this time, all it took to break the trend was to just look back, be honest, and move forward. Thanks.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouragement and support. I just thought I'd follow up with this post. My weigh-in this week showed -4.1. I know that real plateaus do, in fact, happen. But this time, all it took to break the trend was to just look back, be honest, and move forward. Thanks.

You're going to be so successful in losing the weight, cause you "Get it"...some people never figure that one out. Change the routine, the habits, the mindset and the body will follow.