I hate cardio but I like the eliptical

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
I know there are other people out there like me who hate the gym. I walk and bike a lot but have hated all exercise machines. I have a hard time running as I'm tall and it feels like I'm shocking my system.

I've been traveling and needed to exercise so had to use the fitness equipment. I LOVE the eliptical. No shock to the body. I can do it an hour while watching Netflix and feel no strain until I stop (and then my legs are aquiver). Just thought I'd pass it on.

Replies

• karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Although I am not tall (just the opposite, lol), running, and even walking for long distances is painful and uncomfortable. I hate going to the gym, and I am mostly intimidated by all the machines. But I found that I didn't mind the elliptical, and I am liking the recumbent bike a lot. It's also low impact. I am still too heavy to ride a regular bike but look forward to the day when I can. I just had to keep searching for something I liked to do., I like swimming as well, and do water aerobics/zumba .
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love doing cardio -- outside! I can't do it on machines.. well I can, but it's hard. So. Very. Hard. It's so freaking boring! I ran on the treadmill tonight before lifting, as I wanted to get a quick workout in, and it was horrible!
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    That is EXACTLY what I do! I have been catching up on years of not watching movies with Netflix as I use my elliptical and no knee pain! I sweat up a storm and feel weak at the end, but happy.
  • Puffingmuffin
    Puffingmuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I get so bored out of my mind with the elliptical. Prefer running outdoors and feeling the elements.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical too. I sometimes use the treadmill but prefer the elliptical - i feel that FOR ME it's less stressful on the joints (I know that there are those who disagree, but this is what works FOR ME). I was just thinking this morning that I want to go back to the treadmill, try to do a CT5K-style training as well as elliptical.

I am lucky that I don't get that 'feet falling asleep that plagues some people and also that we have cable at the gym with individual screens so i get to watch tv (no tv at home :laugh: )
  • WineMaiden
    WineMaiden Posts: 27
    Options
    I have an elliptical that has been gathering dust but got used for 30 min today. I have near my computer where I can either listen to music, or stream something to watch. Of all machines I like the elliptical the best.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I love doing cardio -- outside! I can't do it on machines.. well I can, but it's hard. So. Very. Hard. It's so freaking boring! I ran on the treadmill tonight before lifting, as I wanted to get a quick workout in, and it was horrible!

Off topic but NEVER run before lifting.
  • dlanoux
    dlanoux Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that I don't get that 'feet falling asleep that plagues some people........

My husband experienced the "feet falling asleep" thing on the elliptical last week at the gym. Honestly, I thought he was crazy! lol! I have never experienced it, or even heard of it for that matter. After reading this, I guess it is sort of common.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

You don't warm up? Olympic weightlifters do 10-15 mins of rowing/treadmill before they lift. They know what they're doing.
  • marhod5
    marhod5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Love the elliptical!

I have had trouble with my feet falling asleep. I thought it was just me! : ) When I start to get that feeling, I try to change my foot position for a while. I'll try to lift my toes while putting weight on my heels. Or I'll scoot my feet forward on the pedals til they're all the way to the front, then I'll scoot them to the back.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

This. I'm the same. I quit trying to run on a treadmill. I much prefer outside. As for elliptical...forget it..... it's so not a natural form.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Why? I've done it heaps when I was at a gym. Ran 10km & then lifted for about an hour.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    all my cardio comes pretty much from the elliptical and weekly hikes. I watch my tv shows at night while doing HIIT on the elliptical it has helped me so much with my back pain and i feel restless when i dont get to use it during my rest days
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I'd ammend that to say never perform a long, exhausting session of steady state cardio before lifting heavy weight. 10-15 mins does no harm, and it makes bugger all difference if your weights are pastel coloured.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Love the elliptical!

I have had trouble with my feet falling asleep. I thought it was just me! : ) When I start to get that feeling, I try to change my foot position for a while. I'll try to lift my toes while putting weight on my heels. Or I'll scoot my feet forward on the pedals til they're all the way to the front, then I'll scoot them to the back.

i had the same problem at the start i changed from my sneakers to flip flops and its gone =)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I wore hiking sandals.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I used to like the elliptical but I hate the ones at my gym now. You have to make it move before it turns on. I can't pick a setting if I'm moving... I have short legs and short arms and bouncing up and down trying to hit the buttons does not work for me. I also don't know what setting to pick. Last time I picked too hard of a setting and after about 5 minutes one of my legs felt tickly. I stepped off and nearly fell over. My legs felt like jello - I honestly thought I would fall over trying to walk out. Then they hurt sooo bad for the next 4 days. Maybe sometime soon when the gym is empty I will hop on it again and give it a try.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have a very special place in my heart for the elliptical. I love that machine. Don't like too many of the other machines.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I used to like the elliptical but I hate the ones at my gym now. You have to make it move before it turns on. I can't pick a setting if I'm moving... I have short legs and short arms and bouncing up and down trying to hit the buttons does not work for me. I also don't know what setting to pick. Last time I picked too hard of a setting and after about 5 minutes one of my legs felt tickly. I stepped off and nearly fell over. My legs felt like jello - I honestly thought I would fall over trying to walk out. Then they hurt sooo bad for the next 4 days. Maybe sometime soon when the gym is empty I will hop on it again and give it a try.

Start with a low resistance and work your way up.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to have a nice elliptical at home. I wear slippers (helps with the feet falling asleep thing) and do several 20min sessions throughout the day (usually 5-6). I don't ever just watch TV anymore, only if I'm on the elliptical ...