Creatine on a Cut?

Options
Looking for experiences of people who have taken creatine monohydrate while on a cut. I took creatine earlier in the year and definitely noticed strength gains, but wasn't paying close attention to my food intake then. Now I am making sure I stick with the allotted cutting calories, as well as lifting weights 4-6 times per week (heavy lifting - upper body/lower body split). Looking to lose about 15 more lbs.

So I'm basically wondering, have others taken creatine monohydrate in a cut and still consistently lost weight? Did it slow down your weight loss? Or mask your fat loss? Any experiences appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• AshesToBeast
    AshesToBeast Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Do it! I've heard it's actually the best time to take it, it keeps your muscles full and helps keep you maintain your current strength levels. The whole water retention thing is mostly a myth. I kept on it through my whole cut and it did not slow down anything.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've taken creatine through all phases and haven't noticed a difference either way.
    Actually, I question the usefulness of it at all. But it's cheap? Dunno.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I use it year round whether cutting, maintenance or bulking.
    And, I do notice a difference when taking it. Stopped for a couple months and noticed my recovery time was getting longer and longer with the same program. Started back up and in a few weeks recovery was much better.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Creatine pulls water into cells, so you will retain some water. Unless you're cutting for a contest, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that some people are non-responders to creatine and others sometimes get headaches. Only way to know is to try it yourself.
    I haven't had any issues though.
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Exactly what KW said, unless you're contest prepping, don't worry about it. If you do good on it, stay on it.

Creatine is my number one go to supp.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I definitely noticed a difference when I took it before, excited about starting it again!