pounds vs kilos - geek alert! Anyone switched units after using this forum?

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Only in America.

I LOLd.
  • eDonatti
    eDonatti Posts: 49 Member
    edited October 2015
    I always use metric system- everything else I need to convert into metric before it makes sense- besides pound which is roughly just over 0.5 kg but then it's not exactly that so for higher numbers I still need to convert - height in anything else than meters or centimetres is weird AF - I just think that an inch is quite large unit (around 2.5cm) and I can't win - feet than inches and them a fraction of an inch...
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Isn't a Kilogram 2.2 pounds making a pound just less than .5kg?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »

Yep...and why it's sounds more when you lose 1lb than .5kg but I guess it depends on what your used to...
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    America you crazy.

q8s7ylml5a8p.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=53961&d=1368940692

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • segacs
    say9u.jpg
  • segacs wrote: »
    I'm Canadian so we're in that weird in-between space. Technically, everything in Canada is metric and we officially measure in centimeters and kilos. But colloquially, at least in English Canada, most of us still think in pounds and inches for weight and height -- even though we've been metric since I was a little kid. I live in Quebec and notice that most francophone Quebecers think in kilos and centimetres.

Food is all in grams and millilitres, though. I don't understand ounces and never have. They don't make intuitive sense to me. Same with distance, like on a run, which I always, always think of in kilometers, never miles.

Exactly. And also to your comment about stones, which I have never understood.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    I. AM. CANADIAN.... er... confused.

Height = feet and inches
    driving speed = km/h
    driving distance = kms
    weight = pounds
    running distance = miles
    swimming distance = miles
    drinks = ounces for hard liquor; everything else is usually Litres
    food measurements = sometimes grams, sometimes ounces depending on the label
    temperature = mostly Celsius... unless it's over 100F. hehe..

essentially... I AM RANDOM AS HELL

google conversion factors are my best friend.
  • Escloflowne
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

Height = feet and inches
    driving speed = km/h
    driving distance = kms
    weight = pounds
    running distance = miles

Dude...you run in miles and "mostly Celsius"!? Deletes from FB and MFP!!!!

Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • eDonatti
    eDonatti Posts: 49 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »

It actually is... my bad... I suck at the conversions.
  • DerangedPixi
    DerangedPixi Posts: 84 Member

Height = feet and inches
    driving speed = km/h
    driving distance = kms
    weight = pounds
    running distance = miles

Might as well delete me from everything too because I do almost the exact same thing as this. haha
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    I remember when the US was officially going to switch to metric. I think I was in middle school... They had us do all this extra work to teach us the new system. It was like a drop dead day - "On this day at this time we will switch all things!" - Yeah, that just plain didn't ever happen.
  • Escloflowne
    VainFlake wrote: »

Height = feet and inches
    driving speed = km/h
    driving distance = kms
    weight = pounds
    running distance = miles

Might as well delete me from everything too because I do almost the exact same thing as this. haha

I guess it's because you guys are in the middle of Canada, that's where we send all our "broken" ones

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited October 2015
    I remember when the US was officially going to switch to metric. I think I was in middle school... They had us do all this extra work to teach us the new system. It was like a drop dead day - "On this day at this time we will switch all things!" - Yeah, that just plain didn't ever happen.

I remember that too. I was in third or fourth grade, maybe fifth.

I use metric quite a bit in my job (I work with overseas manufacturers) and for my metric friends I try to do my best to convert the units. I do wish the United States would convert already, but yeah, this country gets all upset and bent out of shape if a woman should be featured on a bill.

If I should ever leave this world alive....
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited October 2015
    I can think about food better in grams than ounces. I bake a lot and was weighing food items in grams before I began the weight loss journey. I have to translate from metric to my own damn system when it comes to food. If a cookbook says X number of ounces, I literally pull up a conversion chart to see how many grams that is to really get it. Liquid, though, in small amounts, I'm good on either system and can have a mental idea of it in the other system in small amounts because all of my liquid measuring stuff is labeled in both.

I'm good on temperature in either system and can come pretty close to converting on my own, at least when it comes to temps from about 60 - 104 degrees. I can translate from 97-102F to the decimal in C without even thinking about it. I just know the conversions by rote. But I think of temps in F first. Kelvin, I would always have to do the math, but since I left school, nobody has ever tried to use or spoke to me in Kelvin.

Pretty good on stones insofar as body weights go. I hear "14st, 7" and I don't have to convert. Not so good for, say, a car. I'd be converting. As far as body weight goes, I rather like the stone system, honestly. It took a while to grasp, when I first started hearing people tell me their weight in stones. The first time, I was like, "Stones?" I seriously thought I might be talking to a crazy person, lol. But after using it a lot, I like it. :)

I'm really good on CM to inches and vice-versa when it's under 6".

Distance, kind of. Up to 5K, I'm alright, over that, I'm doing math. Or maths. Why do you people pluralize math? Speak English! ;)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    VainFlake wrote: »

Height = feet and inches
    driving speed = km/h
    driving distance = kms
    weight = pounds
    running distance = miles

I guess it's because you guys are in the middle of Canada, that's where we send all our "broken" ones

We are not broken!!! It's a feature!

We are cross platform compatible.
  • segacs
    I think for most Canadians, it's an age thing. My parents' generation thinks much more in the "old" system 'cause they learned miles, feet, inches and pounds in school. My generation learned metric, but we still grew up with parents who spoke imperial. Our kids' generation is much more exclusively metric.

It's also an English/French thing, but I covered that in my last post. In French here in Quebec, it's 99.999% metric, both officially and colloquially.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited October 2015
    The only really downside to metrics when lifting, is the conversion to metric makes it seem like you lifted less.

Sad Panda.
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    If you study anything science-related, you must use the metric system. I think in the U.S.A. as well.

I'm from Europe, so of course I think in cm and kg. BUT while dieting I sometimes set MFP in pounds because it takes less time to lose 1 pound than 1 kg. :grin:
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I never think of 1760 yards in a mile. I think of it as 5280 feet in a mile :smiley:

Me too. I've told this story before, but I will again.

Some years ago, before my first triathlon, I got up in the middle of the night and could not sleep (I had to leave around 4:30 anyway), and so tried to calm myself by watching the summer olympics, which were then on. Half asleep (but used to the various conversions between metric and imperial due to my training), I saw what seemed to be a longer running race and decided that was something to watch. It was 5000 meters, which of course meant nothing to me. So I thought -- a meter is basically a yard, so that's about 15000 feet or about 3 miles -- oh! it's a 5K. Followed immediately by the thought: oh, right, of course 5000 meters is 5K.

Only in America.

Lol, i did this as well. I used to watch the 5,000 metres and the 10,000 metres on the track and think jeez these races are so long it's crazy. And then I too did triathlon and I was like oh that's a 5k and a 10k.......

I run in km/h because I can't visualise running distance in miles but I bike in miles per hour because km/h on the bike mean nothing to me! Makes my Garmin interesting.

Weight is generally lbs, never kgs, but quite often stone because I've either got 5 stone to lose or 70lbs!!!

I'm quite good at converting ounces to grams though, probably something to do with my misspent youth ;)