Compression Socks?

Options
Love to hear some experiences with compression socks. What type of brand? How do you feel after using them with exercise? Etc.......

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with compression socks. I think the rationale behind them is faulty. Old people wear compression socks, and have a benefit, because they have compromised veins. The valves in their veins -- which prevent blood from flowing back down into their feet -- don't close. But, young people and runners/exercisers don't have that problem. In fact, when you use your leg muscles it helps to compress your veins and keep them compressed. So, it does not seem like the socks could do any good.
    That said, I think most people now are dubious of the claims that they help you run better. But many swear by wearing them after running, or a workout, as a really good aid in recovery.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    How do they cause a problem for you? I have been using them and do feel better for recovery.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    From what I've read, there's evidence that they help with recovery but not performance. I like mine. I have CEP, and I think I can tell the difference when I use them after a hard or long run.
  • GiddyupTim
    Options
    I think you might have misunderstood. I did not say they cause a problem. I said that: As far as I know, compression addresses a problem that you don't have. One that probably no runners have. That is the problem of compromised veins. If you don't have that problem, the socks probably are not going to help you run further or fast much.
    That claim was made when they were first marketed.
    And, you're right about recovery. Many people swear by them for recovery.
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    Thank you for clarifying. I did misunderstand. I thought you specifically had a problem using them. I now see what your meant. I did start wearing them because I do have a problem with my veins and feel they help. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks :)
  • AppetiteControlFreak
    Options
    I like leg and arm warmers in the winter

Compression calf socks provide that quite well

I don't know about recovery or any other magic

Some look cool

And we all know cool shoes and socks make you run faster and lift stronger!

• mattyc772014
    Options
    The cool factor works for me. :)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    I have a problem with compression socks. I think the rationale behind them is faulty. Old people wear compression socks, and have a benefit, because they have compromised veins. The valves in their veins -- which prevent blood from flowing back down into their feet -- don't close. But, young people and runners/exercisers don't have that problem. In fact, when you use your leg muscles it helps to compress your veins and keep them compressed. So, it does not seem like the socks could do any good.
    That said, I think most people now are dubious of the claims that they help you run better. But many swear by wearing them after running, or a workout, as a really good aid in recovery.

Define old?
    At 53,i swear by them.
    No injuries since i started wearing them
    I even sleep in them post race/long run.
    Cost £2($3) from aldi.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I wear compression half crew socks for my walking. The extra compression seems to help prevent the arthritis in my foot from flaring up.
  • GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Have problems with muscle beside my shin. The compression socks help a lot! Pain is almost gone, although I should be able to stop wearing them I'll continue. Especially when running out side
  • GiddyupTim
    Options
    Sorry, cw. didn't necessarily mean "old." Meant "persons with venous insufficiency." But those tend to be persons who are senior citizens.
    Since you asked, however: YOU ARE!!! Ba ha ha ha ha!
    [I'm 56 years, by the way]
  • jos82
    jos82 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    im a big fan of Pro Compression socks, great for during running and crossfit, and after for recovery - and even long-er flights, when i use to run 6+ miles they def. helped to feel less sore the next day