Carb blockers

Options
I've read a little bit about carb blockers, mainly used with cheat meals. I'm always pretty skeptical about supplements and aids though. Has anyone used a carb blocker with good results?

Replies

• blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    I have not personally used them, but I would generally say save your money.

"Carb blockers" "Fat Fighters" etc... are all gimmicks and don't work, they only make your wallet lighter
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I have not personally used them, but I would generally say save your money.

"Carb blockers" "Fat Fighters" etc... are all gimmicks and don't work, they only make your wallet lighter

Yep
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I agree with Blessings.....save your money

http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/the-truth-about-starch-blockers
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I checked out the Web MD link...yep. Good old fiber. That will slow down the carb absorption. Doesn't get rid of it, but gives the diabetic a nice, slow release of the carbohydrate in to your system.

You might try vinegar, too. As in a nice vinaigrette dressing on a salad, or vinegar potato chips.

I doubt a blocker would eliminate, say, half the calories of the "cheat" meal. Better just to count it and move on.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Say what?

Why?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Anything that blocks absorption ....... likely digestion issues. The side effects would be enough to scare me away. Who wants diarrhea....
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I hate the latest Pepto Bismol ad that suggests you can eat all you want and then take the pink stuff later. To avoid, you know, the effects.

Adco-articleLarge.jpg

There's no going back on a bad decision. Better to portion out and slow things down. If we eat too fast to even taste it, what's the point?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Totally bogus. Waste of money. Eat low carb instead.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Eat low carb instead.

Or not.

Carbs are fine.

If you find yourself wanting to eat foods that you need to "block," reconsider your diet (most likely you can fit it in) or your choice, and if it's just a day off plan, it's just a day. There's no current way to make your body act as if you didn't consume foods you did, and IMO that's for the best.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Totally bogus. Waste of money. Eat low carbfewer calories instead.

FIFY. You're welcome.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Totally bogus. Waste of money. maybe try eating low carb instead.

FIFY. You're welcome.

No, you're welcome. :)

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Block the carbs from entering your mouth. It's the only way.
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

lol
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Why bother "blocking" them in the first place? Carbs aren't the devil. As long as they're part of an overall reasonable diet and you maintain a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    My gallbladder removal was a form of fat blocking, I guess... greasy pizza + 1 hour = ...[pre-edited for too gross to post].

I don't recommend traumatizing your body like this as a planned thing.
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    dhygirl wrote: »
    I've read a little bit about carb blockers, mainly used with cheat meals. I'm always pretty skeptical about supplements and aids though. Has anyone used a carb blocker with good results?

What does carb blockers have to do with aids? Are you hiv positive? Do carb blockers lower your immune system?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @Werk2Eat there is an older definition for aids, as in support. Like mobility aids, sleeping aids etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Werk2Eat wrote: »
    dhygirl wrote: »

What does carb blockers have to do with aids? Are you hiv positive? Do carb blockers lower your immune system?
    I believe she meant "aid" as in assistance, not the actual disease.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    All I can say is, if you are going to take them, make sure and pack a spare pair of underwear... And make sure you're not in enclosed spaces with other people unless you want to "gas" them into oblivion :flushed::confounded:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Totally bogus. Waste of money. Eat low carb instead.

Why?