nursing mums losing weight?

Any nursing mums lost weight without affecting milk supply?
Can anyone recommend food /recipes to boost supply but also help with losing lb's.
Any other helpful information please.

Replies

• WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Yes, I've successfully lost 20lb while nursing my now-toddler. I think with respect to supply, you need to make sure that you're drinking enough water, and eating healthy foods.

I have read that you need to eat around 1800 calories per day to keep your supply up, though I'm not sure that's the magic number. In my food diary, I have a negative calorie entry that I add every day that accounts for feeding my baby, so that I make sure I have enough calories. When she was smaller, and was nursing more frequently, I'd add 300-400 per day back into my allowance. Now that she's only nursing twice a day, I'm adding 200 calories back in (though I may change that to 100 soon). It has worked quite well for me.

I think the main thing is to start slowly - don't try and lose 2lb/week straight off the hop. Try eating at a small deficit, and see how much weight you're losing. It could be that eating at maintenance is good enough, depending on how much nursing is burning for you. You can gradually increase your deficit until you get the results you are looking for, and you can better keep an eye on your supply that way too. Good luck!

• zahra1975
    zahra1975 Posts: 19 Member
    Thankyoi