Who is good at meal prep, carbs and macros?

Options
I NEED HELP WITH THIS STUFF HA. I have a food scale I use and use my fitness pal also. I am just working on doing better with eating.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly good. I've been to enough classes, at least, and I've eaten like a diabetic for two decades. My head is usually buzzing with what's in my fridge, what I'll be eating next, and combining macros.

The very best bit of advice I got right at the beginning was to imagine a plate half-filled with vegetables. A quarter of the plate is made up of protein, and the final quarter with my carb. Milk is off to the side.

I always try and pair my carb with a protein with every meal, every snack.

With this sort of portioning, it's pretty easy to hit my macros. Protein is a target, and as long as my calories are under, I don't worry if I go over a bit on fats or carbs.

Now for meal prep, when I am really focused on this I will start my week with a chunk of protein like lean hamburger, a chicken, roast, or pork loin. I have recipes to bulk cook each one of these.
    • Hamburger is made up in to meatballs and meatloaf. The meatloaf goes in the freezer uncooked, and the meatballs are cooked all at once.
    • A chicken is roasted in my slow cooker. The juices are saved as stock for later in the week.
    • My last beef roast was cut in to slices after dinner and hubby and I had it for sandwiches (or me, a topping for salad) through the week.
    • Firm tofu sliced, tossed in cornstarch and soy sauce and baked.

The meat can then be finished many ways; in a slow cooker dish, a casserole, with sauce and pasta, in an omelet, on a salad, or in a wrap.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'm fairly good. I've been to enough classes, at least, and I've eaten like a diabetic for two decades. My head is usually buzzing with what's in my fridge, what I'll be eating next, and combining macros.

The very best bit of advice I got right at the beginning was to imagine a plate half-filled with vegetables. A quarter of the plate is made up of protein, and the final quarter with my carb. Milk is off to the side.

I always try and pair my carb with a protein with every meal, every snack.

With this sort of portioning, it's pretty easy to hit my macros. Protein is a target, and as long as my calories are under, I don't worry if I go over a bit on fats or carbs.

Now for meal prep, when I am really focused on this I will start my week with a chunk of protein like lean hamburger, a chicken, roast, or pork loin. I have recipes to bulk cook each one of these.
    • Hamburger is made up in to meatballs and meatloaf. The meatloaf goes in the freezer uncooked, and the meatballs are cooked all at once.
    • A chicken is roasted in my slow cooker. The juices are saved as stock for later in the week.
    • My last beef roast was cut in to slices after dinner and hubby and I had it for sandwiches (or me, a topping for salad) through the week.
    • Firm tofu sliced, tossed in cornstarch and soy sauce and baked.

The meat can then be finished many ways; in a slow cooker dish, a casserole, with sauce and pasta, in an omelet, on a salad, or in a wrap.

Thank you @jgnatca for the wonderful suggestions. I found them quite useful. Baked tofu was a new one for me, extra firm tofu, I assume.