Farmers market suggestions

Options
dhygirl
dhygirl Posts: 137 Member
Planning a trip to the farmers market tomorrow. Looking for some fresh ideas for must have recipes or items. They have EVERYTHING so I want to take advantage of that!

Replies

• dhygirl
    Options
    I love publix and that's where I normally shop. But there's a farmers market about 40 mins away that is huge and has soooo many more items. Everything you could imagine. I like taking advantage of that. It's not a fancy hipster place.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Acorn squash! SO delicious roasted. I had some tonight. Popped it (whole) in a 375-degree oven for 20 minutes, took it out quick to cut it in half and scoop out the seeds (which I later roasted and they were delicious, too), then misted it with extra virgin olive oil and salt & pepper, and a clove of garlic in each half. Back in the oven for another 45 minutes and it came out perfect! To go with it, I made some of Trader Joe's "Harvest Blend" grains, which is Israeli couscous, orzo, tiny baby chickpeas and quinoa. Added some chopped walnuts and the acorn squash, and some onions sauteed in sherry. All mixed together it was super yummy. :) Have fun at the farmers market!!
  • dhygirl
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    Acorn squash! SO delicious roasted. I had some tonight. Popped it (whole) in a 375-degree oven for 20 minutes, took it out quick to cut it in half and scoop out the seeds (which I later roasted and they were delicious, too), then misted it with extra virgin olive oil and salt & pepper, and a clove of garlic in each half. Back in the oven for another 45 minutes and it came out perfect! To go with it, I made some of Trader Joe's "Harvest Blend" grains, which is Israeli couscous, orzo, tiny baby chickpeas and quinoa. Added some chopped walnuts and the acorn squash, and some onions sauteed in sherry. All mixed together it was super yummy. :) Have fun at the farmers market!!

Sounds fantastic!!! Thanks!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Check the internet to see you have some fruits and veggies in season in your area.
    I would love some real tomatoes that taste better than grocery store tomatoes.
    Maybe also consider purple carrots and other veggies of color you normally do not see in the grocery store. Also local onions and berries, local raw honey,
    Talk to other local people there to ask them about the best options. Talk to the farmers.