Compression knee sleeves

Options
So, I recently started the c25k app (Week 3-will be repeating it lol). Yay me!! I am an extremely slow runner and never like it but I am starting to come around. Okay to the question. Has anyone used those compression knee sleeve things or anything like that? My left knee hurts a during the run and I had a little soreness after during the first week, but mostly it is during the run and I can't help but to think about it, which I think makes me run slower. Should I stretch more or get new running shoes for support?

Thanks!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Oh I had runner knee for about 3 weeks. I used compression sleeves during my work or a regular knee type brace.

I had to strengthen the muscles around the knee. I rehab'd my knee and this went away. The only time my knee bothers me know is when I do lunges or squat way down putting a lot of pressure on it. Running is fine now.

The sleeve really did nothing but give me mental ability to work around the pain in that area and made me consistently aware that I needed to ease up on it during running. I did not stop running, but worked on strengthing and I also stretch, stretch strecth alot before and after running and all exercising for that matter. My knees are 47 years old so I have to watch joint and ligament pain.
  • free2bjuicy
    free2bjuicy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I can amp up my stretching before and after. I do tend to relax on that. I will try new shoes first, because I could use a new pair and see how that works.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    go to a running store to get fitted for shoes that work for your stride. it will help ease some pain and avoid injury (possibly). ask for a gait analysis. if they don't know what it is, find a different store
    and stretch and go slow. and don't rush the program
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My left knee hurts a during the run and I had a little soreness after during the first week, but mostly it is during the run and I can't help but to think about it, which I think makes me run slower.

Could be one of a number of things, potentially your shoes or potentially your running form. If you are a slow runner then concentrate on keeping your step rate quite high, nice short paces and land on the midfoot or forefoot.

I do use compression sleeves for recovery, there is no evidence to suggest any value whilst running. fwiw I only really use them after long runs of 20+km
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Seconding the form suggestion. I have psoriatic arthritis and very bad joints. I did a lot of prep before starting C25K so that the muscles around my knees were built up to support them.

I am generally fine with running. I'm slow, but that's okay, it's my doctor's preference and I've only just finished week 6 of the program. I have learned that keeping my shoulders down, my chest out as well as not striding forward all keep my knees from hurting when I'm running. They might ache a little, but they do in daily life and that comes with my disease. As long as I have no frank pain, I keep on keeping on.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Check your shoes and get a diagnosis and a plan. But, I had knee surgery a few years ago and since I have had some knee pain when I am not warmed up or when I overdo it. I wear a sleeve. I believe it helps, even if it is just because the sleeve keeps the joint and muscles warm.