Walkers... How Fast Is Fast?

Options
13»

Replies

• IanRS
    IanRS Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Recently I have been walking 15 minute miles (4mph). Today I felt good and did 3.5 miles at 14:30 per mile. As I get lighter and fitter I will go faster - probably to 5mph before I start jogging.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and I have really strong legs.

With short strides I can get to 4.8 mph before I start jogging. And yes I might look silly, but I don't care. LOL! Going steady at this speed gets me at one mile in about 12:30.

If I take longer strides, it makes me go a little slower and it adds about 2 minutes to getting to one mile. However it works more muscles and I can utilize my upper body better at this speed. I tend to do both since I like intervals on my walks.

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My average rate is 3.5 mph. I'm 5'3".

To my 5'6" husband with bad knees and pins in his ankles, and to my 4'10" daughter, I'm The Flash.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I think that is walking at a good chop. For me, 2.5 is a stroll. 3 is just walking. 3.5 is walking quicker.

I think that it also depends on your height. Shorties are going to have to walk a lot faster to hit 3.5 than I would. If you're tall, you've noticed through your life how you have to slow down when walking with shorter peeps. So, it differs by person.

Shorties are lucky that they get a better walk in when going the same distance! There are some bonuses to being short. :)

I'm 5'0" and my walking speeds are identical. I'm guessing you're a fellow super-petite.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    SeanNJ wrote: »
    The walkers in "The Walking Dead" are more like shamblers really. Can't imagine they're moving at more than a couple mph.

Those f&#$ers in "28 Days Later" were scary as hell though. Full out sprint, no need to rest.

I can't agree more. My strength and cardio training regimens are all done in preparation of a zombie apocalypse. I'm 31 years old, 139 pounds (after a 10 pound weightloss, yay!!) And I average about 4.0 during an average hike. I'm short so any faster and I'd be jogging. I'm confident I could out run the walkers from the walking dead at this pace, but if they are as fast as the 28 days later zombies, then I'm definitely under trained and in big trouble
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options

I can't agree more. My strength and cardio training regimens are all done in preparation of a zombie apocalypse. I'm 31 years old, 139 pounds (after a 10 pound weightloss, yay!!) And I average about 4.0 during an average hike. I'm short so any faster and I'd be jogging. I'm confident I could out run the walkers from the walking dead at this pace, but if they are as fast as the 28 days later zombies, then I'm definitely under trained and in big trouble

You don't have to be faster than the walkers. You only need to be faster than the slowest person they're chasing.

Hm, I think I have a problem... :#

• Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »

You don't have to be faster than the walkers. You only need to be faster than the slowest person they're chasing.

Ha!!! So true
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I have know idea how many miles per hour I walk. But I average 125 steps per minute. No idea if that's fast or slow??

Oooooooo How do you find your average steps per minute :D:D

I believe Christine has a FitBit, so it could do the math for her. She goes for a 20 minute walk, FitBit tells her how many steps she has taken, division.

Mine doesn't tell me my average steps per minute. I'm looking at my dashboard now :(@christinev297 do you tally it up yourself?

@Kimegatron I just set my stopwatch for 1 minute, started walking and counted my steps. I've done it many, many times and I always average around 125 steps.

Truth be told I've never really been interested in how many km's per hour I walk, but I am now, after reading this thread :lol: Plus it's math, one of my most hated subjects...

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    4.5 mph is about the fastest (a brisk walk) a person can walk before it turns into a slow jog. That's why walking is only marginally useful as an aerobic activity.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    4.5 mph is about the fastest (a brisk walk) a person can walk before it turns into a slow jog. That's why walking is only marginally useful as an aerobic activity.

I can get my heart rate into zone 3/4 power walking, and if I keep that pace going for 30 minutes to an hour, I get a great cardio.

but then again, I'm an old dude. I get into a cardio zone if the wind blows...lol
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »

Supposedly the same thing applies to bears and beasts of the hunt. My question is: What did you do to tick off a bear?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    SeanNJ wrote: »
    The walkers in "The Walking Dead" are more like shamblers really. Can't imagine they're moving at more than a couple mph.

Those f&#$ers in "28 Days Later" were scary as hell though. Full out sprint, no need to rest.
    Lol! Nice, and very true.