calorie counting? weight loss when unhealthy

Options
hi y'all. i have been off here a while and am going to start my calories again tomorrow to count. but i am very confused last week. i ate pizza and ice cream and expected to gain that day. i lost a pound and ate healthy yesterday and nothing? can anyone help me understand last week the two days i ate the most unhealthy i lost just over pounds now trying to eat more veggies with baked chicken and haven't lost? i am very confused. i also had a jimmy dean breakfast sandwich all these days and a sandwich with peanuts and skinny cow for lunch. while losing the weight and not on other days???

Replies

• blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    Its most likely water weight

What seems to work for the majority of people is to only weigh yourself once a week. Most people freak at the slightest weight fluctuations, myself included.. Hence, weighing yourself once a week :)
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear and there will be downs, ups and stalls. Try not to stress about the scale number.

• myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    thank you both
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect to lose daily, as normal fluctuations occur. Eat in a deficit and check once a week. Good luck.
  • myaminals
    Options
    thanks the scale drives me crazy i weigh to often and eat too many sweets :(
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate a disturbing amount of pizza and ice cream, you're not actually going to gain much weight. Think about it like this - there's no way you could gain more than the weight of the pizza and ice cream you consumed!

Weight loss and weight gain are both slower processes, and more difficult to measure because water weight always varies. Retaining water can mask progress, and expelling water can mask gains. You care about long-term trends, not short-term changes.
  • myaminals
    Options
    thank you i haven't been drinking much water at all the past week. i am starting that again too. my that will help me not retain as much
  • rankinsect
    Options
    myaminals wrote: »
    thank you i haven't been drinking much water at all the past week. i am starting that again too. my that will help me not retain as much

Drinking sufficient water is always a great idea, but your body ultimately retains water when it needs extra water. Your cells need to regulate the amount of water they have compared to the amount of stuff dissolved in that water (osmolarity). So while it does suck and can be demoralizing, nothing you do can completely eliminate retained water, you can only wait and let time do its thing.
  • myaminals
    Options
    do you know how much watch you should really drink a day? i have heard 8 glasses and also heard half your body weight. i don't know if i can drink that much?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • rankinsect
    Options
    myaminals wrote: »
    do you know how much watch you should really drink a day? i have heard 8 glasses and also heard half your body weight. i don't know if i can drink that much?

Half your body weight would certainly kill you. Seriously, overdrinking can lead to a severe electrolyte imbalance, brain swelling, and death.

Most of the time you can let thirst guide you - if you really don't want to drink, don't force yourself.
  • myaminals
    Options
    thank you everyone for your help
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Your body is not exactly an ATM, LOL... Better to look at weekly trends.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    So-called "healthy" food doesn't have any magical weigh loss properties above and beyond pizza and ice cream. You can get just as overweight eating more calories than you need of whatever you deem healthy than anything else.
    Bottom line: All you need for weight loss is to create a calorie deficit.